Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have German 2013 Ford Focus 5 door Hatch, Sport 1.6l engine, 5 speed manual gear.
And i need to replace oil in my car...
What is better 5W-20 or 5W-30 for 1.6l engine?

Buy Motorcraft, Castrol or Royal Purple oil?

Thanks.

·
Registered
976 Posts
^^^Yes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Owners manual:
Use 5W-20 WSS-M2C948-B or SAE 5W-30 WSS-M2C913-C

so witch one is better?

And what about the 2nd part of the question?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I would use the 5W-20 as this is pretty standard in most modern fuel-efficient cars nowadays. Motorcraft oil is pretty good according to what I have read online (bobistheoilguy.com), is inexpensive, and is factory-fill so how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Owners manual:

so witch one is better?

Ha, stupid manual. Higher weight is better for wear and lower is better for fuel economy. Ford uses Motorcraft for everything here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would use the 5W-20 as this is pretty standard in most modern fuel-efficient cars nowadays. Motorcraft oil is pretty good according to what I have read online (bobistheoilguy.com), is inexpensive, and is factory-fill so how can you go wrong?
What about "TehMark"
"Higher weight is better for wear and lower is better for fuel economy."

Better take the 5W-30?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Engine oil is one of the things I'd stick to the factory specs on.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Owners manual:

so witch one is better?

Between those 3, I'd go for the royal purple w/ a the RP filter. On the weight difference, what your weather been like? If its cold go for the lighter weight & if its warmer the higher weight. I use Mobil 1 5/20 w/a Mobil 1 filter.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The motorcraft 30 is what my dealership puts in.
I'd think they'd use the motorcraft 5w-20 blend,,,, Thats what the service dept used when I worked in the b/s next door.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'd think they'd use the motorcraft 5w-20 blend,,,, Thats what the service dept used when I worked in the b/s next door.
I'll have to see if I have an invoice around later today. It's quite possible that I'm mistaken. I've always taken the car to the dealership for changes so haven't had to pay a lot of attention. You're probably right.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Dealer uses 5W-20 Motorcraft syn-blend. Its the factory fill and what is listed on the oil fill cap.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'll have to see if I have an invoice around later today. It's quite possible that I'm mistaken. I've always taken the car to the dealership for changes so haven't had to pay a lot of attention. You're probably right.
No big deal= we're all here to learn,,,,,

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Oil is a very contentious topic.
Aside from that, In the USA the recommended oil is 5W20. Period. (most likely to improve the overall fuel rating of the car, and American are sometimes not so bright. They need to be told what to do, not given a choice... Too confusing!!)
In the EU it may be more a matter of what is correct for your type of driving.
SO:
If you want maximum fuel economy: 5W20 (or in cold weather 0W20)
This is for people who do not drive 'hard' or run the engine up to high RPMs a lot. This oil is for the average driver who has some concern for maxing out fuel mileage (what is it called for kilometers? Fuel 'kiloage'? LOL).

If you drive the engine 'hard' (IE running RPM up to near redline and generally racing around a lot, a 'heavy foot'..) Then you want to use the 5W30 oil. This oil is not as fuel efficient as the 5W20, so it will lower you fuel efficiency.
Best to use a full synthetic. Does not matter which one. (IMO, but for some folks, saying that is heresy, .. I'll wear my sackcloth and ashes.. I use Mobil One)

In the USA, the only recommended oil for the non-ST MK3 is 5W20. It may be different in the EU. I would definitely stick to the 5W20 in the USA for any MK3
(except the ST, which has a different engine, and requires 5W30)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts