Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to 3000 miles on my PZEV. I haven't seen any 5W-20 synthetic blend or synthetic oil around. Any suggestions or do I stick with the dealer for the oil changes ?
Also, anybody use any fuel injector cleaner ?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Read this thread on 5w-20 oil.
Don't open this can of worms on oil. It gets deep...[:)]

FYI-
Amsoil makes a synthetic 5w-20 and Motorcraft sells the 5w-20 blend.

microtonal said:
Take your pick..

Full synthetic 5w-20
Amsoil
Royal Purple
[thumb]

All other weights of synthetic and conventional oil
Ford Motorcraft
Quaker State
Mobile
Havoline
Pennzoil
Valvoline
Castrol
Chevron
[:)]

And last but not least. An article to glaze your eyes once again...
[read]
More than you ever wanted to know about oil article [ohcrap]
[?|]
[whip]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
My preference is Mobil-1 0w20. I feel like its the best bang for the buck protection on regular service intervals. Yes, I know there are better oils out there, but I'm sticking to this.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W20 is engineered specifically for Ford, Honda and any other vehicle where a 0W-20 or 5W-20 engine oil is recommended.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Ford dealership here in NY charged me $22.95 for an oil change on my Pzev. The way I look at it is......Semi-synthetic oil costs (estimated) $3.00 a quart....we need 5 (I think) thats $15.00 in oil. The filter, which, at this time, can only be purchased through Ford, costs $10. Total = $25.00. It is less expensive and cleaner for me to just take it to the dealer. Even if i'm off a little on the cost of the oil (which i'm sure somebody here will notice) it is real close.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can get motorcraft filters from Wal-mart for under $10. Plus, did Ford put in their regular or synthetic blend when you had them change your oil?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I could be wrong, but isn't most (if not all) of Ford's oil a blend since it's recycled? There's really no way to seperate the two without high heat and patience which they'd never do. It may be minimal on the synthetic side though since the initial fill-up is suppose to be real oil, and the first oil change is the most common for them.

·
Registered
829 Posts
dont know about any of you but my dealer gives the first oil change for free. im assuming they will just use the normal oil. i may go to synthetic down the line but i only drive my car about 8k miles a year so im not sure it would make sense for me?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The dealership did give me the first one for free too...how nice of them. I always check to make sure they use the fl-910 filter and semi-synthetic oil. They always reassure me they do. Checked wal-mart for the filter...they don't stock a motocraft fl-910 here yet...wish they did.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I had to order my filters from the dealership. And since the car isn't availible down here yet, I had to get them from NY. Should be in stock down here shortly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts