Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i went to the sport compact and truck blast this weekend. it was a fun time only 3 other focus in show including mine. but then when i went to leave i get on the highway and noticed that i could not go into 5th or 6th. i did remover the clutch conter weight. so yeah idk whats going on i can put it in 5th and 6th manualy from under the hood. for some reason the shifter is not moving the gears the right way . and got any info??????????/

thanks
seth

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think someone else also had that same problem when they removed the counterweight. Put it back on an see what happens.

·
Registered
215 Posts
From the spot where the weight was, follow the cables back until you feel the couplings that attach to a bracket (easier to access from under car) if one of those couplings came apart you'll lose whatever gears the control. Does the shifter feel kinda sloppy?? and do u have an SVTF? If it is one of the couplings came apart you should be able to screw it back together.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The coupling is a pain in the ass to get back together the right way (that is its 2 peice and it has a clip that kinda spring loads it..you'll see what i mean...if that is the problem. Hope i was some help...good luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
I tried the weight removal and to be honest it felt rough or like it was binding...nothing good came of it i believe.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
You don't need those gears anyways.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
5 and 6 are gas mileage gears...O/D and double O/D...still nice to have though with gas prices these days.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I read about one guy who said he took it off and his cables broke, the counter wieght is supose to remove some of the load.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
BadIdea said:
You've never run out of revs in 4th or 5th gear?
[rolleyes]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what the shifter feels like is liek when i have it in 3ed it looks like its in 5th and same way when in 4th looks like its in 6th. then when i push it back to 1st it like snaps over. the shifter is not loose at all i took off the shife boot and looked down in there all i saw was like 2 springs that looked like they needed to be in.

thanks
seth

ps how do i post pictures i have a digital camera and everything

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
be sure to ask SVTGuy21 as he had the same problem when he removed his weight. he did something with the cables can't remember what though.

Click Here to PM SVTGuy21

i've had mine off for a couple thousand miles now and it's staying off i like the feel so much, i havn't had no problems with loosing gears. must be one of those cars then

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i fixed it i went under the hood and and found that there was like a plactic cap that had a spring in it that had like come out so i scrued it back in a put the spring back in it and that it now its working fine again. and i am leaving the conter weight off i love the ways its shifts now thanks for all the great info guys I WOULD BE LOST WITH OUT ALL OF YOU

THANKS
SETH

I WOULD STILL LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO POST PICTURES FOR YOUR GUYS

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
there should be a post at the beggining of a thread that one of the mods sticky about how to post pictures. usually you just host a picture on another site and click the "IMG" at the top of your post reply screen and enter the link there of your picture. that and you can upload pictures to this site but be careful, you are only limited to 2MB [:(]

i used mine up realy quick [:)~]

·
Registered
134 Posts
OrangeSVT said:
From the spot where the weight was, follow the cables back until you feel the couplings that attach to a bracket (easier to access from under car) if one of those couplings came apart you'll lose whatever gears the control. Does the shifter feel kinda sloppy?? and do u have an SVTF? If it is one of the couplings came apart you should be able to screw it back together.
He is missing 5th and 6th gears. LOL. [:D] Just messin with ya.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
OrangeSVT said:
Does the shifter feel kinda sloppy?? and do u have an SVTF? If it is one of the couplings came apart you should be able to screw it back together.

just wondering how much play there should be in the shifter. when i'm in gear, it i can move the shifter around like an inch or two radius in circular motions. just wanted to know if this is normal? i have no problems finding gears but i do get that occasional mishap when my linkage pops off the tranny.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
svt_gEEk said:
5 and 6 are gas mileage gears...O/D and double O/D...still nice to have though with gas prices these days.
Neither gear is OD on the Getrag.
5th - 1.33:1
6th - 1.08:1

OrangeSVTguy said:
just wondering how much play there should be in the shifter.
when i'm in gear, it i can move the shifter around like an inch or two radius in circular motions.
Pretty normal for non-STS equipped cars, but yours does sound like it's a tad looser than most.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
^maybe that's the reason why i got the problems with the cable linkage popping off the tranny. never thought i'd do this but that weight has to go back on for servicing [:(]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts