Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened to me twice on the way to work early in the morning (still dark out) and want to know if anyone else has had this problem:

Driving onto the offramp and onto freeway, my SVT nicely shifts from 1st to 4th quickly and easily. I stick it into 5th and zoom past several more cars. My '03 SVT is in 5th doing about 5000 to 5500 RPM (maybe more??) and then the dash lights flash a couple times and go out. The speedo and tach drop to zero. The battery light comes on and remains on, but the headlights are still on.

I stick it into 6th gear and proceed to drive at more comfortable speeds (less than 90) and the dash lights come back on. After several minutes the tach and speedo start rising, but the battery lights stays on until I park at the car at work. I turn off the car, wait a few minutes and restart and everythings fine.

Should I be concerned about this one? Any info would help. Maybe I am just trying to see how fast I can get in 5th gear, and thats my SVT's way of telling me ???[?|]

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
why does it seem like alot of the SVT's have transmission problems, or problems relating to the mechanics of the T/X?

Sorry, I can't help the situation....hope someone can though.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
it has nothing to do with the tranny. Sounds like the voltage regulator is crapping out. Or the alternator. Have a dealer look it over. And yes.. I would worry about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yes definatly not transmission related, i had that problem on another car and it turned out to be a loose contact, this may not be your problem but it aint the tranny!

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
Should have read more into it....but for some reason, I thought I've seen other threads on electronic problems that took effect during a certain shift. [B)]

·
Registered
43 Posts
I belive it could be the alternator, a mate of mine hade a similar problem, driving along at 100kmph we lost ABS, airbags, lights, spedo was allover the place, and the battery light wouldn't switch off. After stoping the car and starting it back up it was fine for a while.

I could be wrong, but my bet would be on the alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Projekt's incident is sounds exactly like what has happened twice. (ABS, AIRBAG, Battery lights, etc) Back to the dealer I suppose. At least I get a rental car outta the deal for the day. Sure sounds electrical.

As for tranny problems....my SVT rattles while idling and the car in nuetral. I took it to my dealer who said it is a routine "Ford Focus" related problem with no fix. He states Ford has tested replacing the transmission. A brand new tranny would start to rattle @ idle in about the same amount of miles as I have currently.

Alas, I must sit at red lights with my foot pressed down on the clutch so it doesn't sound like a low tech-high speed mouse trap. I still love the car though!!!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I'd go have that checked out it really would suck if all of ur equipment went out at a cruitial time

·
Registered
143 Posts
Out of curioustiy how fast are you going, isn't 5500 rpm in 5th close to our top speed? You can top the car out in 5th gear....are you going above 130 mph?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd haveta say I am going about 95-105 mph when this occurs. I have made it up to 122 so far on a nice little stretch between Baker and Barstow, but it was in sixth gear. Nothing abnormal happened at that time. Both times the "black out" has happened, I have been on the same stretch of road.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Have you had the last new Ford Band Aid for the SVTF ECU? I'm talking about the YRF0 reflash, my battery light would flicker and my dash lights would dim not die, but would dim real bad. Several times my battery light would come on and not go off. After the YRFO reflash these problems fadded away on my SVTF. Now if you have the lastest reflash, then yes I would worry about this, dont problem solve it or wait to see if it happens, peace of mind just take your car in for service. [;)]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Haven't had mine go completely out, but mine have flickered just cruising along in 5th at 60 mph. And this morning they flickered at idle while she was warming up.

It's in the shop now. 5K service and a 2 page laundry list of things to look at. Clutch, clutch/flywheel/tranny, throttle pedal, the flickering dash lights, surging, valve tap (or possibly the injectors as I have read here), and a few others I can't think of right now. The first time I've ever had them go to a second page on a write up. He gave me a pretty shocked look when I handed him my typed out list. Now I have to ride in the rain until I get it back. I hate riding in the rain. Atleast it's only 10 miles to work!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got my car back from the shop after having the alternator replaced (1,083 miles). I didn't even have any of the problems mentioned above, I was just taking it in to have them address the surging while cruising and the battery light flickering on occasion. I would definitely be concerned about blackouts and losing power to major components!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just got my car back today to! The called BS on most of my issues, the rattling from the tranny in nuetral, the inconsistent clutch actuation, even the little click I feel in the throttle pedal when I transition from off throttle to on throttle.

But, shockingly enough, the said that my dash light cluster was the issue with my occasional dash flicker. The one thing I expected them to not be able to fix, and they atleast have a part on order for it. Won't know if it fixes it until they replace sometime next week.

I told him that I would be back for the other issues when the tranny goes out[:(]

·
Registered
186 Posts
5th gear at 5500 rpms. i dont know about yout svt. but mine is doing 90 something at the end of third shifting into 4th. by 5th gear ill be well past that. and yes the trannies are bad. im on my second clutch. and i just changed my oil at a friends shop. and i found out that the transmision is leaking oil also. so now i bring it back again this saturday. i told them if they are going to take it apart to see whats wrong mine as well put another clutch in then. cus the noise if getting louder and the patience are getting thinner. svt is supposed to come out with a new beefed up clutch but when that will be i dont know. but i better be befoe sow season starts up here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wolf71- I hope you aren't riding around in the rain when you could be driving a rental focus from your dealer. Your SVT purchase entitles you to a rental car for anything more than an oil change. I have used it once already when I had them check out my transmission noises. I will use it again when I go back for the battery problem. Don't let them tell you otherwise :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
yeah demand a free rental if its an SVT dealership

·
Registered
36 Posts
My dash lights have flickered off for a few seconds before. Not in 5th though, mine has happened in first and second. It was scary, as i was whoopin this integra at night, i hit 6500 rpms and shifted into 2nd, then everything turned off but my lights. I was like, what the heck! i thought my car died. Anyway, so you think the alternator, i was thinkin that or maybe a possible surge from the overrev. any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i've had a similar problem with my svt, it only seems to happen when i'm going faster than normal everyday driving, but what happens is my battery light flicks on and off, and my rpms go down to like 0 on the tach, but then it stops, and everything is fine again. My only thing is that i don't know if i can take it back to ford because of the modifications i have done to my car.... do you think they'd still fix the problem?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts