Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015 Focus SE with MANUAL transmission. 48k miles on the car currently but over the last month or so I've been getting a shudder when taking off from a start in 1st gear. This does not happen when the car is cold, only when at operating temperature. In the mornings it is smooth as butter whether I'm slipping the clutch or just letting the auto throttle/anti stall get the car rolling for me. Once the car is warm, it's like the clutch is either engaged or disengaged with no middle ground.

I can Rev the motor to 2500 and slowly let the clutch out and right at the end of pedal engagement the car shudders badly like wheel hop, but it's not. I've replaced the passenger side motor mount and had been using the eFocus rear motor mount since last April with no issues. The car is/was also tuned. I returned to stock tune, same issue. I swapped back to the soft sloppy rear motor mount and problem is slightly less but still easily reproducible. Driving the car has become difficult if I have to come to a complete stop because of the tricky clutch engagement it is impossible to launch smoothly.

I haven't replaced the drivers side transmission motor mount, but I don't think those typically go bad? For grins I removed the air filter housing and battery box and verified the bolts are tight on the tranny mount plate. I commute in the car, it is not driven hard. The clutch engages tightly, no slipping while in any gear. Tonight I revved it and let the clutch out quickly and it did a nice burnout with the motor banging away against the firewall due to the soft rear mount (which also makes the car hard to drive but for other reasons discussed elsewhere).

The shudder I get is similar to how the motor banging around feels but slightly softer. I was surprised that while the wheels were peeling out the banging just kept going, is that normal?

I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it was at the min line so I filled up to max with dot 4 fluid. Do I need to bleed the clutch now or do you think my flywheel is warped or clutch bad? Never figured I'd have clutch trouble with a manual focus, especially with such low miles and driven like a grandpa. I should also mention this is not my first manual vehicle, it's my 3rd manual focus and I've driven several other manual vehicles, motorcycles, tractors, and atvs for 20+ years without issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is the transmission motor mount hydraulic like the passenger side? I noticed the top of the bell housing was dark and grimy like maybe it had been wet at one point and accumulated a lot of dirt because of it. No leaks I could see or fresh liquid pooled anywhere.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Passenger mount was replaced 8 months ago with OEM Ford hydraulic mount. It is not leaking. Rear mount was the eRMM up until a few days ago when I changed back to the factory part hoping the softer rubber would dampen the shudder, which it does. Can't tell if the transmission mount is bad but the car idles very smoothly with no vibration. The bolts are tight, but is the transmission mount hydraulic or solid rubber?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My motor mounts are good, passenger side is not leaking and only has 10k miles on Ford oem hydraulic mount. I still don't understand how this is only an issue after 15-20 minutes of driving in the morning, but can happen after 5 minutes after the car sits at work for 4 hours. If the flywheel had hot spots or were warped somehow, wouldn't this be a problem whether the components are hot or cold?

There are no oil leaks or consumption, all are fluids are full. It looks like a replacement Motorcraft clutch kit is around $200, and labor is probably 6-800 to install. I love the car but don't know that I love it that much. I can buy new motor mounts again for $100 (driver and passenger oem units), but if the motor were back and forth, wouldn't the rear mount solve that (I have focus eRMM, so no movement there).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you find a solution? I have experienced the same issue. Though it is very intermittent for me. I may go weeks or a couple months without it happening, but then experience it for a day or two. Been difficult to pin down the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts