Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting story, but as the title says...Not In Our Back Yards!

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/09/06/55-mpg-ford-focus-cant-have/

VIDEO
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4591256/fords-global-focus?playlist_id=87491

Published September 06, 2011 | FoxNews.com

You may not want to drive 55 mph, but how does 55 mpg sound?

Ford has unveiled its 2012 Focus ECOnetic, which it is billing as the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid family car on the road. It will make its public debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show next week.

The five-door compact is powered by a small turbocharged diesel engine of unspecified horsepower fitted with stop-start technology -- so it doesn’t run when the car is sitting at a light – and has active grille shutters that reduce aerodynamic drag at highway speeds. Low rolling resistance tires, low friction oils and a number of other fuel saving features help push the Focus’ fuel economy past a projected 69 mpg on the European testing cycle, which generates figures typically 20 percent higher than EPA ratings.

According to Ford, British motorists can expect an astounding 83 mpg from the five-seater, but that’s because they use the Imperial gallon, which is 20 percent bigger than ours. The Focus will be joined on the show stand in Frankfurt by a new subcompact Fiesta ECOnetic rated at 86 imperial-mpg. The 2011 model gets 76 Imperial-mpg using a 90 hp engine.

And what can the American driver expect? Well, for now we’ll have to settle for the 33 mpg Super Fuel Economy editions of both models, which use traditional gasoline engines. There are currently no plans to sell diesel versions of the Focus or Fiesta in the United States. Ford has previously cited the high cost of producing this type of engine thanks in part to tougher emissions standards on this side of the Atlantic and low consumer demand as reasons for not bringing them here. Diesel-powered cars currently account for approximately 1 percent of U.S. sales, but are expected to rise as corporate average fuel economy standards start to climb toward a target of 54.5 mpg by 2025.

Nevertheless, Ford’s top competitor, Chevrolet, has announced that it will begin selling a diesel version of its best-selling Cruze four-door starting in 2013. Rumor has it that Chevy is aiming for it to get over 50 mpg highway on the EPA cycle. The top diesels currently sold in the United States, the relatively powerful Volkswagen Jetta and Golf, are both rated at 42 mpg highway and 34 mpg combined.

Original Article: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/09/06/55-mpg-ford-focus-cant-have/#ixzz1XD1zEW3s

·
Registered
548 Posts
90hp? i'd rather walk

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
90hp? i'd rather walk
You never drove an original beetle?
33hp, up to 40 hp in 1950's
In 1967 the engine got a HUGE boost to 50hp, and soon to 54 hp!!!
Flying dude, flying...
Acceleration: [popcorn]
32 mpg too. way back in the 1950's

They were fun to drive. My best friend owned one. (her dad owned it... but it was hers to drive)
Heat was either 100% on, or 100% off. The thing was rusted, and the choice was changed by her dad in Spring and Fall. LOL. [rofl]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I've had my focus read 50 mpg. I'm sure I can get it beyond 55 mpg if I wanted to. I just hate driving slow for too long where the speed limit is unnecessarily low.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2000 TDI golf right now, new it had 90hp, the check engin light has been on for 3 years due to the mass air flow sensor, so the turbo is working at a reduced rate or not at all sometimes, it still works just fine, merging onto the highway can be sketchy sometmes tho :pi

·
Registered
747 Posts
diesel is too highly taxed in the US for it to ever be a good idea (which sucks for us)

·
Registered
35 Posts
It says, "According to Ford, British motorists can expect an astounding 83 mpg from the five-seater, but that’s because they use the Imperial gallon, which is 20 percent bigger than ours. The Focus will be joined on the show stand in Frankfurt by a new subcompact Fiesta ECOnetic rated at 86 imperial-mpg. The 2011 model gets 76 Imperial-mpg using a 90 hp engine." They are talking about the 2011 Fiesta ECOnetic having a 90 HP engine, not the Focus.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've had my focus read 50 mpg. I'm sure I can get it beyond 55 mpg if I wanted to. I just hate driving slow for too long where the speed limit is unnecessarily low.
Pictures...or it didn't happen! [hihi]

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the 2012 Focus Diesel econetic 115 bhp, I regularly get 60mpg, I'm a little confused why your saying you wouldn't travel that slow I thought your speed limits were less than ours? I have had 100mph out of my Focus with very little effort.

Why is it we seem to have different spec cars! Surely Ford would be able to sell your spec over here and likewise ours over there??

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I have the 2012 Focus Diesel econetic 115 bhp, I regularly get 60mpg, I'm a little confused why your saying you wouldn't travel that slow I thought your speed limits were less than ours? I have had 100mph out of my Focus with very little effort.

Why is it we seem to have different spec cars! Surely Ford would be able to sell your spec over here and likewise ours over there??
60 MPG uk is only 49.96 (~50) miles per us gallon which is 20% smaller. So yeah, it's a little bit easier with no power to get that mileage but I've seen 42 mpg us out of my 2.0 L gas engine in my last SEL, which is around 50.44 mpg imperial/ uk gallons. Not sure what the big deal is.

Diesels don't sell well here in part due to both customer expectations and government regulations that all but prohibit them in passenger vehicles, although they are rampant in trucks and semis.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is there a reason why the government object to diesel in passenger vehicles?? I have always driven diesel just for the better mpg.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
In the USA a gallon of diesel costs more, usually, than premium gasoline so if you compare the cost to regular gasoline the difference in price is very nearly the difference in mpg so it's kind of a wash. Diesel is about 15% more expensive than regular gas so you'd need more than 15% increase in mileage to justify. Yes, a well designed diesel may well get more than 15% better mileage than a well designed gasoline car but not much more than 15%...

What would be interesting is a second generation hybrid that does away with the conventional drive train and uses an electric motor at each wheel powered by a decent battery pack and a small highly efficient 2-cylinder diesel engine of, say, 55hp, to keep the pack charged and to supplement the power of the pack. Such a system could well see more than 80mpg city and 65mpg highway using USA gallons or about 100mpg city and 80mpg highway with imperial gallons. And have a net 250hp or more...

Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the USA a gallon of diesel costs more, usually, than premium gasoline so if you compare the cost to regular gasoline the difference in price is very nearly the difference in mpg so it's kind of a wash. Diesel is about 15% more expensive than regular gas so you'd need more than 15% increase in mileage to justify. Yes, a well designed diesel may well get more than 15% better mileage than a well designed gasoline car but not much more than 15%...

What would be interesting is a second generation hybrid that does away with the conventional drive train and uses an electric motor at each wheel powered by a decent battery pack and a small highly efficient 2-cylinder diesel engine of, say, 55hp, to keep the pack charged and to supplement the power of the pack. Such a system could well see more than 80mpg city and 65mpg highway using USA gallons or about 100mpg city and 80mpg highway with imperial gallons. And have a net 250hp or more...

Brian
That is something I have done the math on and its not as much of a wash as you think. With the difference in driving habits and fuel prices, along with the price of gas no where near as stable as diesel, it just best to wash it out.

At 2100 miles a month, 7 mpg difference, and 60 cent difference is were it truly washes out. At 2100 miles a month, that is 70 miles a day which is what I was averaging when I did that.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
That is something I have done the math on and its not as much of a wash as you think. With the difference in driving habits and fuel prices, along with the price of gas no where near as stable as diesel, it just best to wash it out.

At 2100 miles a month, 7 mpg difference, and 60 cent difference is were it truly washes out. At 2100 miles a month, that is 70 miles a day which is what I was averaging when I did that.
What do you mean by "... with the difference in driving habits ..."?

You can take the same car using the same fuel and get a 2X difference in mileage just by a difference in driving habit so it confuses the issue of difference due to the car/engine/fuel.

Brian

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Is there a reason why the government object to diesel in passenger vehicles?? I have always driven diesel just for the better mpg.
California drives the Federal EPA to lower the NOx and particulate emissions to such a degree as to make it extremely prohibitive to make diesel passenger cars. Europe is focused on CO2 reductions, but gives less care to covering the environment with smog and particulates in their regulations. This requires expensive after treatment systems to pass the U.S. regulations, plus the hoops of certifying the engine and car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts