Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fluke or faked= nope. This is real!

So I've combined my last 3 partial fill ups and Aparently I'm getting 50.8mpg! The EPA on my car says I should be getting around 32 combined!

All I did was adjust the nut behind the wheel and my goal snuck up on me. I was just trying to get to 40mpg. My onboard computer was saying that I was getting around 39 -45 mpg... BUT THE Numbers don't lie!

How I did it:

• Path of least resistance
  • Buying quality fuel
  • Removing unnecessary weight (junk, spare, etc).
  • Neutral coasting to lights, stop signs and sharp turns.
  • Don't burn fuel while stopped
  • Pumped up tires to 44psi
  • Accelerate consistently and efficiently (flipped off OD when climbing steep hills and stepping on it).
  • Used cruise when I don't have the attention on saving mpgs.
  • Saving momentum on hills and turns.

[headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang]

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LOG: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SimonSellsAustin/focus

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did you confirm this just from your computer or did you calculate it the right way with a calculator?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I see some nice stats there but I also would have liked to see that 50.8mpg entry split up into the actual miles/gallons... 1000mi. and 19 gallons added? We only have a 12.5gal tank. I could add whatever numbers I wanted to fuelly...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hate to stir it up...

but IMO bunko.........................

My milage has dropped from 35-36 to 31-33 mpg..

yes the tires are at 40 psig..

It is impossible to hyper mile a non-hybrid

it engine runs at stop lights.

I am dissappointed that my focus is nowhere near the 38+ that others are claiming..

I bought this focus new for me, and gave my daughter my honda civic hybrid
which was a good solid 46-48 mpg..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hypermiling has nothing to do with hybrids though hybrids can use similar techniques. Goggle the term and learn what these techniques might be. I believe the mpgs reported can be done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That is just crazy, awesome job. I'll have to try some of that sometime.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Pity the folks who are incapable of accepting dozen of other users reports of good mileeage.
To them it may be like a slap in the face? Or just phoney bragging?
What ever, since I have had opportunities to have mileage like that for some 20 mile trips, (If I would have been driving a hundred miles,, then it may have been for a hundred..)

Like being on th freeway and just ignoring the mpg meter, then getting off and glancing at it and suprise 47mpg plus..

As we have discussed the mpg issues of some getting high mpgs, and some very low.. clearly the folks who are not getting them must realize enough different folks who have, must have something different going on in thier cars.

All I can guess is diferent fuel maps.
Cars all have a tuning map built in. Maybe some are different? in different model 2012 Focus..

Anyway I can certainly believe it without any qualms about proof, or how it was calculated. I have done it, just not as for (mostly because I do not take long trips)

(yesterday driving around the city, ended at garage door the mpg meter was up to 37mpg..
Getting better after the drop end of last month. [strongman][thumb]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Now by Quality fuel are you talking over 87, or just a good brand of 87.

I have found inferior 87s, and use ones that give me a smoother ride and better mpg.

I am however reluctant to over inflate my tires like that. I am already running on Low Rolling Resistant ones on my SFE.

Other than that, I can get over 40 mpg when I stay under 62 mph. But in the morning rush to work, I often have to go a bit faster than that to make up for stop and go the last 10 miles near the city, which brings my mpg back down on commuting trips.

But since I have been having knee pain for month now, worsened by controlling the accelerator, i use my cruise control as much as posssible, to maintain and alter speed. I I anticipate having to slow down, I cancel cruise and try to coast down to my new speed. Either resuming the setting in a few moments or setting it to a new slower speed.

Even so I sometimes mix up the volume and cruise settings, so I'll ignore the steering wheel volume controls when using cruise, and adjust volume via the center column, when I start screwing that up.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Pity the folks who are incapable of accepting dozen of other users reports of good mileeage.
To them it may be like a slap in the face? Or just phoney bragging?
What ever, since I have had opportunities to have mileage like that for some 20 mile trips, (If I would have been driving a hundred miles,, then it may have been for a hundred..)

Like being on th freeway and just ignoring the mpg meter, then getting off and glancing at it and suprise 47mpg plus..

As we have discussed the mpg issues of some getting high mpgs, and some very low.. clearly the folks who are not getting them must realize enough different folks who have, must have something different going on in thier cars.

All I can guess is diferent fuel maps.
Cars all have a tuning map built in. Maybe some are different? in different model 2012 Focus..

Anyway I can certainly believe it without any qualms about proof, or how it was calculated. I have done it, just not as for (mostly because I do not take long trips)

(yesterday driving around the city, ended at garage door the mpg meter was up to 37mpg..
Getting better after the drop end of last month. [strongman][thumb]
It's not about not believing it for me. It's about the fact that he threw up that figure on a Fuelly fill-up that's impossible for this car. ~19 gallons? We have a 12.5gal tank. If he were to split it up into it's actual 2 fill-up split it would be more believable for me.

Nothing is stopping me from punching in 500mi. driven on 10gallons to get a 50mpg reading.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's not about not believing it for me. It's about the fact that he threw up that figure on a Fuelly fill-up that's impossible for this car. ~19 gallons? We have a 12.5gal tank. If he were to split it up into it's actual 2 fill-up split it would be more believable for me.

Nothing is stopping me from punching in 500mi. driven on 10gallons to get a 50mpg reading.
I didn't see that, that is a suspicious interval.

Until you mentioned it, I didn't look at the link.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I, for one, totally believe in hypermiling....

...now I can't prove/disprove said statements about the 2012 Focus, but my personal experience w/my F-150 changed my mind.

I go down to my Dad's house 5-7 times a year (5-6hr drive depending on traffic). I usually travel at night so speeds are fairly consistent. I can make it one way on 1 tank of gas and not carrying any serious weight (ie, towing). I've never towed AND made it in one tank. Usually 2 tanks (yeah, I've got a slight lead foot problem) or a tank and a half.

This past Oct, I went down to pick Dad and his car up for Hot Rod weekend. Instead of the normal U-Haul trailer, he borrowed one for a guy that works at his newest favorite shop. It's a homemade trailer, so we don't find out it's got 'issues' till we're on the road. Can't go above 55mph w/out it starting to shimmy & sway. 60mph was the absolute limit, but it was just a matter of time before I'm squeezing the brakes, so we settled in on 55mph. Mind you, w/the other trailers I can roll 70-75mph w/no problems..... You know what's coming... the upshot is that I made all the way, towing a trailer and car (approx 4000lbs total) on one tank of gas. I couldn't believe it. It was hard sitting in that right hand lane the whole time, but there was at least one benefit to it.....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

I think there is a simple explanation to that: he filled up twice without resetting the odometer. Thus, the 19 gallons on the record. It is very possible and I don't see any reason for not believing such a situation. And I don't see any reason why a person would fake his fuelly, because it is nothing in it to win. Or am I wrong and you do win 30K $ ?!? [80?]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Read the note next to that listing for exactly 1000 miles, it is a combination of 3 partial fill-ups.

I now think the data is suspect, unless it can be reproduced consistently or at the very least approximately. Even so the average of 39.4 mpg is completely plausible.

I myself have hit 47+ mpg on a tank but only had 31 mpg on the preceding tank. The reason for that is that on that preceding tank the cutoff switch on the pump did not stop the pump at full, and as such the tank was overfilled. Thus bad mileage recorded on the previous tank due to how much fuel I put in, and very high mileage on the tank using that overfilled fuel. It balances out after another fill up at a properly working pump.

So lets see what the data is on the next tank, as he could have overfilled it on one of those 'partial' fill-ups.

Besides, there are also only 7 fill-ups on that car listed, more data is needed, at least 10 fill-ups I would imagine for a proper sample size.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you confirm this just from your computer or did you calculate it the right way with a calculator?
the onboard computer says 39-45mpg at most times. But when calculated through fuelly it shows 50.8mpg. So, this was done with an old fashioned calculator/website.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now by Quality fuel are you talking over 87, or just a good brand of 87.

I have found inferior 87s, and use ones that give me a smoother ride and better mpg.
I stopped buying the cheapest 87 gas and started buying name brand 87 gas. All the gas around here is 10% ethanol but buying gas at night when they aren't filling the station via semi is best.

I am however reluctant to over inflate my tires like that. I am already running on Low Rolling Resistant ones on my SFE.
Your tires have a max psi rating on them, just look at the tire sidewall and you'll see the safe rating from the tire manufacture.

Other than that, I can get over 40 mpg when I stay under 62 mph. But in the morning rush to work, I often have to go a bit faster than that to make up for stop and go the last 10 miles near the city, which brings my mpg back down on commuting trips.

But since I have been having knee pain for month now, worsened by controlling the accelerator, i use my cruise control as much as possible, to maintain and alter speed. I I anticipate having to slow down, I cancel cruise and try to coast down to my new speed. Either resuming the setting in a few moments or setting it to a new slower speed.
I mostly drive 55 to 63mph. I'll set the cruise when I'm on the main highway and on long stretches of consistent roads. but mostly I'll just eyeball the speed while paying the most attention to the RPMs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry but I don't believe you in the least
I checked my figures 4 times. Unless a gas fairy stopped by and put free gas in my tank when I wasn't looking there's only one way to explain it.. good driving and good road conditions. (I avoided all traffic through all 1000 miles).

1 - 20 of 71 Posts