Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, first post here.

Been reading the forums for a while and it's interesting to see how you do things over there.

I've recently started on a build with a target of 500hp, so far I've specced the build and obtained a base 2.0 with only delivery miles on the clock.

Basic spec will be JE pistons, steel rods and suchlike, aftermarket ECU driving 8 injectors, and a Garrett GT series turbo.

The major difference I think to most of yours is that this is what you'd probably consider very low comp, 7.2:1 which isn't unusual over here. Virtually all the major power Zetec Turbos run around that. Our pump fuel is 95 or 98 octane and we generally run them on that, rather than race fuel or octane booster.

As for the 180mph target, recently a Fiesta (slightly larger than a Festiva) over here clocked 178mph. That was done with just over 400whp, 205/40 17" tyres and an 8750rpm rev limit. There are pics on http://www.fiestaturbo.com The engine in that car is the older "series 2" Zetec which came out in 1995, I'm not sure you have them over there.

I reckon more power in a more aerodynamic shape, with 215.35 19s should be able to crack 180. Whether I dare go that far is another matter!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
so how much $$ u got?lol

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
well you might check around for some good gearing for that speed, i wouldnt rely on tire/wheel sizes alone, i think the tock gears will max out around 163 or so on what tires i dont remember

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
your def going to need a new gearset, other then that, just tear the engine apart, build it, boost it, and spend a month or so tuning it and im sure you will get there

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
a month of tunning and lik $20k later you will get there..
i will be sweet thou...
pls keep us updated with this project !!!

joel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The standard ratios won't be a problem. You're right that with SVT sized 215/45 17s it will top out at a theoretical maximum of 162.

215/35 19s with the standard (UK) final drive ratio of 3.82:1 equals 180mph @ 7000rpm.

I'm aiming for an 8750rpm limit, which equates to 220mph (!!) (Somhow I can't see that happening!)

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Just make sure that the car will stay on the ground at those speeds, some of the older cars would begin to fly at about 160....I have gone 165-170 in some porsche 911t's and it feels really loose upp there. be careful...but keep us up to date...sounds fun

·
Registered
128 Posts
Where did you get this intake from? Do you know the runners lenght or the plennum size? What about the cross section area, do you know it? It'd be helpfull in my proyect.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
sean hyland has a 500hp turbo focus as well...i've gone 160mph in a 300zx before, and it didn't even feel like 160, gotta keep the rear of the car down...down force, a good functional wing is definitely needed at that speed

·
Registered
766 Posts
I want that fuel rail and intake, like right now. Damn it, I hate being broke.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
8 injectors.....ook

hah i went 150 in an LS1 no problem

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Couldn't you just drop one of those "Cammer" engines in the engine bay and tune that to go 180mph?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I understand this project has a specific goal - top speed - but I would still like to hear about around town driveability with 7.2:1 compression.

Please keep us updated. Sounds like a great project.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts