Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally got my SVT suspension installed - the car drives infinitely better, but I would now like some more power/torque[race] I don't have any mods yet.

I can spend $500 right now, but would like to keep the car stealth (sleeper?), so - no loud intakes or exhausts.

I'm mostly driving in the city - improving low-end torque would be a blessing (I have ATX[:(] ).

I was thinking about the following:

- FS tune, XCal2 (for 92 octane) - according to their dynos gives a lot more low-end torque - $379
- SVT box + SVT snorkel + K&N drop-in ~ $160 (new)

Is this a good approach to get more fun in daily city driving?

What would you suggest instead?

Thanks!!

·
Hiyadoin'
1,640 Posts
yes this is a good approach. you might consider getting the SVTF wheels as well, this will complete the suspension upgrade.

Enjoy!

·
Black Mesa Racing
2,410 Posts
FS stealth exhaust is quiet i hear, sounds good and a little power.

·
Registered
157 Posts
definately a 65mm TB.....i also have a auto and that TB woke it up on the bottom end....but it might put you over the 500 mark with what you want.....shoot for the tune and TB 1st....IMO...goodluck

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
how about headers? shorty heads... if so i got 1 for 110 shipped. Ford Racing

and there is the Iceman intake too... but it uses ur stock airbox... but replace everything eles.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i suppose if you dont want intake or exhaust (gunna limit your power gains) go with a tune/ throttle body. Throttle body will help more with throttle response but it is sapposed to at least feel better.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
tune ftw!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
by the way if you do decide to go with shorty headers, make sure you get a high flow cat

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys[ffrocks]

Lots of good advice. At least I wasn't so far off in my initial thinking - I've spent days pounding on the "search" button[burnout]

Throttle body and header are interesting, and gave me some thinking...

Would header still keep me carb-legal; I would still have some form of a cat (hi-flo), right? How much would I gain in torque and power?

TB would give me better response, which is really nice. I was concerned about two things related to TB. Would I need to port my intake opening to adapt to new wider TB? Would my current TPS work fine - automatics are somewhat different, I believe.

I could still try to squeeze a little more cash for this round of mods[;)] - say couple hundreds.

Thanks again - you rock[loveff]

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
A tune, TB, shorty header, and a udp would give you much better bottom end.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you don't have to port out the IM, but it helps. It will be just fine. I would say TB and tune. ur car will feel totally different!!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I say dont get a tune first, because if you go with focus sport tune your gunna have to pay each time you wanna retune it. Get your svt cai and tb and a stealth exhaust. I mean a tune is great and makes the car funner and all but if you wanna shell out the cash for a retune eachtime you get a mod do it. FS doesnt offer a free tune like Turbo Tom each time you buy a mod and need the ECU reflashed. Get some mods on the car first then save up for a tune. You dont need a tune for an intake, header(unless your CEL comes on), tb or exhaust. And for a Zetec you could prolly get all those for 500 bucks or a lil more(new and used)!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
thats y i am saying go w/ a tune, but he should get it from Tom as he will get unlimited updates if he stays NA

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you decide to go to turbo tom then hell yeah a tune would be one of my first choices as well since it would be free tunes!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Ok boosta, no disrespect but the guy is saying he want to be a sleeper.... I think that exhaust and combo of a long header isn't the right way to go. I would go with a magnaflow or borla exhaust with a resonator on it, i have a 2.5inch borla with a resonator and it dosen't sound like a performance exhaust untill it was time to shine. If you’re getting an intake, get a k&n typhoon, only reason i say this that the K&N filter is best flow filter in my opinion. As for headers, if your looking for a sleeper along with quality, ur best bet is to get a used quality one from the B.T.S(Buy,Trade,Sale forum)... short headers( find it around 100 bucks.... either JBA or FORD RACING...... hi-flow cat isn't needed on the install of the header, but is it does complement the header. It can be installed down the road. And TB, that would be fantastic for the air flow combo... flow in and flow out.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If you decide to go to turbo tom then hell yeah a tune would be one of my first choices as well since it would be free tunes!
haha.... the tune is only free IF THE ENGINE IS RAN AS N/A = meaning no Turbo/SuperCharger

someone correct me if im wrong tho....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm...

Let's see - TB is a no brainer, a tune is very welcome. But, so are short header, intake, exhaust and udp...

Yeah, I have to keep it stealth - my better half would not like any loud engine noises.

I was thinking of FS tune, primarily because Tom is retiring in few months. (I understand that he will still support earlier customers through his company...) Also, since there is no dyno involved in the process, tunes are generic - based on specific ECU code. I would assume that FS and Tom's tunes would give similar gains. Most of the gains are realized through better timing tables for higher octane fuel.

I was considering SVT snorkel+box with K&N drop-in to get better air-flow, and keep it quieter. But, I might just get the filter for my existing air-box. Will K&N Typhoon be quieter than other intakes, like Steeda SRI, or Volant, not to even mention Pipercross Viper.[deviltail]

K&N drop-in ~ $30
TB (CFM 65mm) ~ $260
Tune (FS) ~ $380
=============
Total ~ $670

I think I can squeeze these three things in this first batch. Additional tunes from FS would cost $25, if needed, based on future mods.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - this is a great community!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I believe Tom is still giving tunes to everyone. Thats how I took it. You should pm Tom (1turbofocus) and ask, it wouldn't hurt, infact it could save you $$$.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts