Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Great picture & link Bud!

"But it still ran" is the next line...

Get an AmsOil bypass filter setup & stick to that 50 year schedule.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Back when I was a preteen, a guy living nearby who was a student at a local college bought an old car. he did zero maintenance to it. gas only.

Well after three years and finally graduating he decided to give the car a treat, and changed the oil. Immediately the car started having all sorts of issues and he ended up junking it.
The moral is: never, ever change the oil! [drummer]

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
All joking aside ... I remember back when we didn't have synthetic oil and seeing sludge wasn't uncommon. There's little doubt in my mind that synthetic oil has made a big difference in how long engines last and how well they perform at higher mileage. Combined with advances in metallurgy and manufacturing processes the typical engine, if maintained, can last a long time and perform well for much of that time.

Brian

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well I just found out my 40,000 mile E150 tranny is shot. One of my genius' topped it with engine oil it seems. Metal shavings galore.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I just found out my 40,000 mile E150 tranny is shot. One of my genius' topped it with engine oil it seems. Metal shavings galore.
Can you elaborate what is the difference between those two and how that difference can affect your car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe everyone should drain the oil out of the car so you will never have to pay for oil again! I heard somewhere on yahoo that cars don't really need oil.... Or gas for that matter:p

·
Registered
129 Posts
Maybe everyone should drain the oil out of the car so you will never have to pay for oil again! I heard somewhere on yahoo that cars don't really need oil.... Or gas for that matter:p
Sounds like something I read on Yahoo once. Guy said mechanics are thieves, just change the filter every 3k and top off the oil.

·
Registered
979 Posts
A girl I went to high school with tried this with her brand-new 1989 Grand Am. She drove 25,000 miles on the factory oil and when winter hit, it turned to Jell-0. I recognized it sitting on the flatbed at the Pontiac dealership I was working at that year. They scooped the oil out of the pan like pudding before putting it in the parts washer and putting in a new bottom-end and cams. And GM covered it all under warranty.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pennzoil back in the day was the king of sludge(paraffin) now it's good oil. Had a 78 LTD II that had a factory recommended oil change interval of 7,500. Thought I'd try it at least once. Even warmed up that Pennzoil came out like molasses. Never did it again and have never run Pennzoil again even though it's a good oil now. But that was dino oil in the 70's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts