Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 04 zx3 5-speed, recently my transmission decided to commit suicide, so it presented the possibility of converting to a 6-speed... since i dont know anybody who has done it, im askin... is it worth it to convert??? are there any advantages/disadvantages to either transmission???

your input is greatly appreciated... thanks!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I may very well be wrong, but I don't believe the GETRAG 6-speed can be mounted to any other fofo engine but the SVT. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because if I am I would be considering this as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The 6 spd (SVT) trans can be mounted to the Zetec engine with slight modification, but I dont remember what mods were done... [dunno]

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you probably have a d-tec since its an 04

which in that case. no it will not work.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183239

read around...
no, its a zetec, fully built... please dont insult my intelligence... haha <joking

but no, its a zetec... and im about 99.9% sure it will for the most part mount right up... ill need a svt clutch but thats it...

i just need to know if i would gain anything substantial from making the swap

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
no, its a zetec, fully built... please dont insult my intelligence... haha <joking

but no, its a zetec... and im about 99.9% sure it will for the most part mount right up... ill need a svt clutch but thats it...

i just need to know if i would gain anything substantial from making the swap
no you will need more then just the clutch.

btw i did this swap over a year ago.

yes you will gain something substantial, another gear, better driveability, and a better tranny for road racing and twisties.

it is expensive. very.

let me know if you are interested. i can get the parts list together for you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the car used to be drag for the most part, but i sold that motor/trans set up/ and now im making it a street/ autoX car... yea a parts list would be great! i have access to a 6-speed right now for a great price, so if im gonna do it, nows the time...

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
About how much would you say?
depends on how many times you wanna take it apart?

1 time. 4k with everything

multiple times around 1500ish

you can either buy a new clutch, flywheel, and LSD and do it right the first time.

or you can pinch pennies and pull it apart later.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i just wanna put a stock trans in it... i dont wanna take the trans apart at all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts