Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 1,000 miles into my 5 Speed Focus. I drove it "easy" for the first 500 miles, then started to play around a little for the last 500 or so miles. Not beating it up, but instead of hanging around 1500-3000 rpms, riding in more the 2500-4500 (closer to the power band).

Today I turned the car on, pulled out of the lot, and had little to no response from the gas pedal. I had it slammed to the floor and was barely getting enough power to get the clutch to grab and catch 1st and second gears. At first I thought I had just made the occasional "yeah I'm an idiot and forgot how to shift" mistake, but then I realized it was the response from the engine that was causing my flubbed shifting.

Now, I had something like this happen in my old Lancer repeatedly, but that threw a Check Engine code, this didn't. But since I've been through this before, I knew if I just pulled over, shut her off, and then let it sit for a minute before turning it back on it would go away, and it did. On my old car I had Mitsubishi look into it and they found a "fix" in the computer and they reflashed my ECU with a different tuning and the car ran fine after that.

Has anyone had this happen yet? If so, any solution to avoid it happening again?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You're not the only one - this was just recently posted in the "2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far?" thread. Granted it's an automatic - the dual-clutch automatic is practically a manual.

My Transmission almost screwed me over yesterday when I was getting back home from work. I was waiting for a guy to go past me so that I could speed up onto the I-94 from an entry ramp. I turned around one last time to double-check, after he passed me, if I missed someone coming from behind before I accelerated.

My focus wouldn't accelerate!! It felt like my car was in Neutral. I must've been doing like 20mph when this happened. The car wouldn't go any faster but I could hear the car revving. This totally freaked me out and I had to put it in S and then back in D before the gears would engage and I could drive away.

It was quite scary and the first major problem/issue I had with my transmission.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I've had this happen more than once. It could've gotten me in an accident last week. I've also had some 3rd and 5th gear lock outs and this morning a 2nd gear lockout. Maybe it's time to contact service.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have experienced a lack in throttle reponse but I am pretty sure it has something to do with the electronic throttle instead of a cable. I am assuming the programming of the electronic throttle could be more fuel efficient friendly. Meaning it is not as reponsive to quick snaps of the throttle. BetaDnb- Was this up shifting or down shifting ?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I have experienced a lack in throttle reponse but I am pretty sure it has something to do with the electronic throttle instead of a cable. I am assuming the programming of the electronic throttle could be more fuel efficient friendly. Meaning it is not as reponsive to quick snaps of the throttle. BetaDnb- Was this up shifting or down shifting ?
For me it's happening launching at 2000rpms. That should not bog at all.

As far as the lockout - upshifting for 3rd and (obviously) 5th. Today was a downshift to 2nd. All under normal driving.

·
Registered
266 Posts
For me it's happening launching at 2000rpms. That should not bog at all.

As far as the lockout - upshifting for 3rd and (obviously) 5th. Today was a downshift to 2nd. All under normal driving.
How fast where you going? Synchronizes can only do so much. I have to be going under 35 MPH to downshift smoothly into 2nd. I have to be going under 15 MPH to downshift into smoothly 1st. As far as the up-shift "lock-outs" I am not sure what that would be. I know sometimes in my focus I feel a little resistance up-shifting but it always goes into gear. I have read in multiple places about the 2012 Focus 5-speed know to have a "rubbery" feeling. I certain this is what I feeling maybe that is what you are feeling. Those are my thoughts but it is probably best to have the car checked out a service technician who can properly diagnosis car as you said.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Like I said...normal driving. The downshift today was from 3rd at about 15mph.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm doing the same thing, I launch around 2,000 rpm, that's the sweet spot. Normally it hooks right in and goes, but when it bogs down it will barely catch and the car will crawl forward accelerating about 75% slower. The happens in all gears of course, since it's not a gear specific issue.

Keep in mind this is happening with the foot pressed to the floor, its not an confusion with the car not having "jump".

I'm due for my "early" oil change in a few hundred miles. I'm going to see if if happens again. If so, I'll ask about it when I take it in. I've only had it happen this one time so far.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The same thing happened to me a couple days ago. After not driving the car for 2 days, I got in and the engine was very (very!) lethargic (in all gears) and there was no problem w/the shifter (I have a 5-speed). The pedal seemed to have no effect. It was up to operating temp, too. I like the analogy (above) of 75% less power, because that's what it felt like.

That would be uncool, to say the least, if it happened when merging onto the highway.

It did improve later in my trip and has been fine ever since. Could the traction control be kicking in randomly? There were no CEL's or other indicators, though.

Sounds like something that will be hard to duplicate for the dealer...

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Could the traction control be kicking in randomly? There were no CEL's or other indicators, though.
It seems the TC light would come on if that's the case.

Sounds like something that will be hard to duplicate for the dealer...
And herein lies our problem since it's so random.

I must add it only happens to me from a complete stop.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I must add it only happens to me from a complete stop.
This is important, it doesn't happen mid-ride, its from 0mph whether the car was parked & off or stopped at a light & idling.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only issues I have are when the AC is on, and I think I have been compensating for it subconciously, because it's been ok lately. I know I have to go pretty slow to dump it in first. I drive it like it wants to be driven. Higher rpm's and quickly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah this is much worse than the A/C effect. This is more of a "I hope the person behind me doesn't 1. run into me or 2. start honking while I get up to speed" effect.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It seems the TC light would come on if that's the case.

Sure, I realize that, but this issue clearly feels like a dramatic cut in power, so what is causing this? Come to think of it, if it is some sort of electronic bug, why couldn't it happen without turning the TC light on?

This happened not only from a stop, but once I was on the move (1st/2nd/3rd gear) over the span of about 10 minutes. This isn't the same thing as the slight change in power you notice when the A/C is on.

Next time, I will try the 'reboot' approach and see what happens. To be fair, this is the first time I've had this happen (@5100 miles).

Hoping there will be a software update for this down the line....

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
The only time I've had trouble accelerating *knock on wood* is when I'm in 6th gear in manual/S mode and I'm trying to accelerate to 65 on the on-ramp without downshifting to 5th. I could floor it and it would take all day to get there... I like that, though. If there are no cars - better gas mileage than dropping it into 5th.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The only time I've had trouble accelerating *knock on wood* is when I'm in 6th gear in manual/S mode and I'm trying to accelerate to 65 on the on-ramp without downshifting to 5th. I could floor it and it would take all day to get there... I like that, though. If there are no cars - better gas mileage than dropping it into 5th.
You're probably burning more fuel crawling up to speed in high gear than you would if you used a lower gear... just saying.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You're probably burning more fuel crawling up to speed in high gear than you would if you used a lower gear... just saying.

Posted via FF Mobile
I wondered the same (like pedaling up a hill in high hear) Is flooring it in 6th gear better or worse than relatively quick acceleration in 4th / 5th? I'd have to use instantaneous fuel consumption to figure it out. But since I don't have access to these tools... if someone else wants to do that for me. [:)]

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the automatic tranny and this happens to me basically every time I floor the accelerator from a complete stop. I've seen on other threads on here that this is a fuel savings thing and that the accelerator might be set to something like 68% power when starting from 1st gear. This does make it so that sometimes I get worried I won't make it across an intersection sometimes.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I expect there are torque limiters in 1st/2nd to prevent damage to the drive mechanisms but not power.
Chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think anyone without a 5 speed really know what we're experiencing.

Having a car run/accelerate at 25% of its normal functionality isn't a fuel saving or mechanical prevention feature. It's a malfunction.

Luckily, I haven't had it happen since.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts