Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a clutch in my daughters 2003 ZX5 Focus. The owners manual says use IB5 Ford pART Number part number XT-M5-QS. Does any one know if there is an equlivent sold at the parts stores?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It takes a MTL 75W90 GL-4 fluid. I guess it depends on where you live, but there normally aren't a lot of options out there off-the-shelf. Pennzoil's Synchromesh is one possibility you may find locally, along with Royal Purple Synchromax (I've seen that at my local O'Reilly's).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

You'll need a full synthetic manual transmission fluid, the current Ford fluid is a safe recommendation. 2 qts. is all you need by current recommendation, not the 2.1 originally specified.

Even Mobil 1 in a 50W version has been used successfully, you DON'T want anything in a GL-5 or non-synthetic gear oil.

·
Premium Member
21,253 Posts
Yep... I've even read where people have used MerconV successfully, although I'd personally prefer a thicker fluid. Ford's fluid is thinner than 75w synthetics, but you pay a heavy price for it since it's like $20/qt. A lighter fluid should give you better fuel economy-- but really, it can't be much of an increase. You may not even notice it at all. A thicker fluid would be better for a transmission with more than 100k miles on it.

XT-M5-QS is the part number for the fluid from Ford.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

You'll need a full synthetic manual transmission fluid, the current Ford fluid is a safe recommendation. 2 qts. is all you need by current recommendation, not the 2.1 originally specified.

Even Mobil 1 in a 50W version has been used successfully, you DON'T want anything in a GL-5 or non-synthetic gear oil.

Oops, I used gl5 for like 6 months lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oops, I used gl5 for like 6 months lol
While it's not necessarily the end of the world, some GL5 fluids have additives that can cause premature wear on brass/bronze synchros (although many GL5 fluids claim to be compatible w/yellow metals).

One note: you don't have to use a synthetic fluid. Ford even makes a conventional MTF fluid, which some find shifts better on a tranny w/worn synchros: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-Fluid-XT-4-QGL-75W-90/dp/B001H1I5Q2

The upside to the synthetic fluid is that the service life is quite a bit longer. So, Pennzoil's Synchromesh (which in a synthetic blend) will work fine--and you can normally find it at a local parts store if you're in a pinch. I just would change it every 30K or so. Based on the condition of the factory synthetic at 90K, I'd say the XT-M5-QS is worth it if you can get to a dealer. It really does seem like a 100K fluid. I noticed zero change in shift performance after changing out the factory fill, and while looks don't tell the whole story, the fluid appeared to be in very good condition. Worth the $$ in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts