Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the back story. I got a call early one morning, my buddy telling me his belt broke, so I brought him another. We got to looking and the crank had broke. I bought it from him, got it yesterday. Put it on jackstands last night and started the tear down. Turns out the crank is broke, one piston shattered, and a rod bent. But thankfully nothing scarred.

Time for pics.

I'm going to go check prices tomorrow and take of the drivers side head.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i would think that block is junk looking at how wedged that crank looks in the front main---- find a cheap block and build another motor from your bits and pieces, fuel injection, heads, intake--- thats all the good stuff

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to go pick up an engine stand and disassemble it and go from there. But I know where several cheap blocks are.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
I would say throw in a 5 speed too. And it would take a miracle for the block to be good after snapping a crank. Not saying it isnt possible, but it would be rare.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No miracle, the block is cracked on the side closest to the break. Oh oh, I'll find me a bare block on craigslist.

·
Registered
209 Posts
looks to me that you have a torqueconverter to an AOD---- get rid of that transmission while you can and the motor is out---the big bellhousing AOD is JUNK!!!! and will only leave you disapointed--- get a T5 dropout and put it in-- easy as hell to install too

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Going friday hopefully to pick up a short block, and hopefully by friday night/sat morning I can have it in time ready to start. I'm not switching out the tranny, no use to. Its a good tranny, and the car isn't for me. I'll be painting it very soon and putting it on craigslist and the trading post.

Oh and another update, I may be picking up another car. A Chrysler laser, year 84. 84000 original miles, 2.2 turbo, and the body is spotless. If I get it, it will get a good tune up, some new tires, and put right back on the market.

·
Salmontheotherpinkmt
4,043 Posts
Cool you know i like the stangs.Keep me posted im looking for another stang as a DD!

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the motor portion is finished, and she lives. What I ended up doing was buying a short block that had 28000 on a rebuilt bottom. Complete gasket set. Main seals, head gaskets, vavle.... Like a said complete gasket set. Got the timing nearly spot on the first time. Retarded it just a bit and shes purring like a kitten. I'm pulling some things off to rearrange some wires, and hopefully will be able to put up some pictures. It will most likely be put off to till Saturday since I have to go to work for 8 hours tomorrow. But, for a hundred dollars, I'll hopefully make 1500-1800 profit after some paint. Which is being done for free by a friend. (I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine kinda thing.)

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
^
^
[histerical] [giggle] [rofl] [hihi] [clap] [hah] [chairfall]
now i dont care who you are thats funny right there!!!

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG! I left the door wide open on that one haha.. I have to give ya that one. But nah, no hjs. I'm going to weld an exhaust of for him. This car will be gorgeous by the time its finished. Oh and after it leaves the garage... TURBO FOCUS TIME! woot.

·
Salmontheotherpinkmt
4,043 Posts
So Pm me what you want for it when its done!

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol, nah. I gotta do some more work. Due to work, it will prob be next saturday before I can officially slap a finished sticker on it. ahah

·
Registered
881 Posts
OP, any tips on how to unhook the wiring connector into the alternator? I can't tell from the pics if you needed to get that off to assess the motor, but I assume you would have to.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One has two clips on each side, and the other has a single clip.

·
Registered
881 Posts
But both seem to be recessed into the body of the alternator and unreachable by fingers?

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That or pocket screwdrivers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts