Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at rota wheels and the 17x7.5 slipstreams come with a 45 mm off set. so exactly whats that mean. i know our off set is what....40 or 42? with a 45mm off set does that mean that there will be a lip on the rim? and with a 7.5 width, any clue what the widest i could go? oh yea i got the sportline drop too :-D [thumb]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
^^^that help?^^^

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sure does. who was that from!? haha they were talking about their "extensive database" yea the rotas were talking abou the rims being "hub centric to the focus"

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Here's a decent offset calculator:
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

i know our off set is what....40 or 42?
No...it's 52.5mm.
Check here for the sizes/specs:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2278
Input those numbers into that calculator along with the new size you're looking at.

OK, just ran the numbers for ya.
6"@52.5mm vs 7.5"@45mm.

Inner clearance (the inside of the wheel to the strut housing) = 12mm Less (1/2")
Outer Position (position of the outside edge of the wheel) = Extend and extra 26mm (1")

With your drop, 215's are going to be marginal, and 205's IMHO are too narrow for a 7.5" rim.

Best bet is to check around in these forums and see if anyone is running the setup you're looking at.
Should be able to get an idea if it'll work or not.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds great. postin up another thread!! haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.