Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up and reset the mpg meter at the gas station. About a mile of stop and go before getting on the interstate. No hurry to get home so I drafted a semi doing 60-65 for the next 25 miles on the interstate. Did not get stupid close by any means. MPG made it up to 45 by the time I got off the interstate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have seen mpg on mine that high when I was going slightly downhill. Were you going downhill? or from higher altitude to lower altitude ?

·
Registered
439 Posts
NACAR Drafting a Semi is the best way to get better gas mileage. Now they have done tests and the best drafting a semi is to be about 1-3 feet from the bumper. Really dangerous but I bet you could get close to 50 mpg. I'm sure you were way safer.

The other way to get really good gas mileage without the semi is to make your car look like a Golf Ball.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Myth Busters I think did this very test. Probably on YouTube somewhere if you looked hard enough.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Great video...

The funny thing is; this also goes for submarines, just as a fish has scales a submarine would go faster through the water if it had something similar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have gotten mine up to 50.2 going about 8 miles through town (@45) then up to 55 uphill about 3 miles and another 8 miles slightly down hill.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My highest mileage was 50.18mpg for an entire tank of about 608 miles. I had another tank near 50mpg and over 600 miles on the tank. I've had many tanks over 45mpg and 500 miles and my average tank is over 400 miles. My lifetime average with about 84,000 miles is 37.92mpg.

Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought pulling an average of 37.4mpg for 50k miles was pretty good. I generally run 75mph although sometimes I’m in stop and go in SoCal traffic. 5 speed manual trans 2.0.
I’ve pulled tanks that were 43mpg a couple times, but I was intentionally holding 65mph.
I don’t reset the overall mpg setting on the car anymore because I noticed that it can way over exaggerate the “current” mpg when cruising. I calculate each tank myself when I fuel up just to keep an eye on that tanks mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in a small town where you have to stop on every corner. 23mpg is the most I can get trying really hard to save fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well that's a relief for me to hear! I've got a 5-speed 2.0l and I drive stop and go for a living as a case manager. 22mpg is my average according to the computer...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been getting over 43 MPG over an entire tank for the last few fill-ups. I've seen as high as 45.1 on the average after my second day of driving, but due to some head-winds and city driving it dropped to 43.1 by the time I needed to fill up.

For these things only being rated at 34 or 36 highway by the EPA, I'm amazed that it's so easy to completely annihilate that average without even trying to hyper-mile (dangerously-close semi drafting, cruising under posted speed limits, over-inflating tires, etc.)

Granted, I don't hammer the throttle much and I use non-ethanol gas, but still, I just drive it like any of my other vehicles and the gas mileage continues to surprise me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts