Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hit a bump on the road the other day and my dash just cut off, gauges went limp and car started sputting a mile and a half down the road... ended up dying at US19 and Drew st. coming back from lunch... right at the turn lane!!

somebody stopped and helped jumpstart the car but it started to die again as I was going down the street. Got it towed to a place where i've had my cars worked on before to find out that it's going to cost $436 to have a new alternator put in!!

It cost me only $160 to have an alternator put in my taurus a couple of years ago... figured if anything it'd be less in the focus but because it's hard to get to it was as high as it was... Maybe I got a good deal? Maybe I got Raped but damn!! [V]

It just kinda sucks because I have alot of things coming up and I'm looking at $521 (towing+alternator+labor/Tax) over a freaking alternator!! [dunno]

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
its in a really bad spot, the majority of that is labor

most DIY's take about 4 hours.

·
Registered
143 Posts
same car as mine, from the shop manual its a 1.3 hour job.
most techs working in the industry can do this in less then 45 minutes.
stuck bolts, broken studs not included.

it shouldnt be more then 150$ in labor, unless the shop rate is over 90$ an hour, at that rate I would do it myself. its not hard, a little finesse and it comes right out the top. and the alternator brand new reguardless of where your getting it shouldnt be more then 200$ period.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Honestly, towing goes up alot. when my car broke down i knew it was the alternator. Called a towing company they said 150+USD to get it a mile to my house which is insane. IMO so i took the battery and got it charged up. Put it right back into the car and drove it home. I did the alternator myself, it was fairly simple and straightforward. But i did need to put a jack with a block of wood under my oil pan and unbolted the passenger side motor mount and lifted the engine up a good 4'' to clear the alternator which is SUUUCH a tight fit. Anywho honestly for towing and what not. i guess thats average prices. alternator cost 130bucks avg.

·
Registered
143 Posts
you shouldnt have needed to jack the motor up to get it out. take off the engine hoist ring above the alternator bracket, and pull the 2 coolant lines free from the black plastic clips that run along the side of the fenderwell going down towards the tranny tunnel, push aside the powersteering res. and with some wiggling and the right angle it will come up and free, less afew paint scratchs if your not careful.

ive personaly done dozens of foci alternators with zetec engines.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Are you sure it's the alternator and not the infamous alternator clip? Or a bad ground that got knocked loose by the bump?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's already done...

$434.00 later...

I also found out I need to change the PCV hose as well?

I feel so bad man... I work so many damn hours that by the time I get out of work I don't have the light of day to help me really even look at the car... Also lacking in tools.... = (

Oh well it's done... I have a new one on w/Lifetime warranty and out of state parts and labor.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya and the battery light keeps coming on and off...

Car actually died again today on the way to work and had to get a ride...

The guy who repaired it is suppose to come get the car and take it back to the shop to see what was wrong... I'm just pissed right now! $522.00 and I break down again not even a week later...

Battery connections were solid and checked them before I left the car this morning.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
When I was having electrical issues I grabbed a Wire Wheel and polished all the grounds Fixed things right up... :)

Sorry to hear that your car died again.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I was having electrical issues I grabbed a Wire Wheel and polished all the grounds Fixed things right up... :)

Sorry to hear that your car died again.
ya I'm not sure... maybe it was a bad alternator? It was a Reman. but it has a lifetime warranty + out of state parts and labor.

I'll probably be foci-less for another day... [bigcry]

but atleast this next time hopefully she'll be all better!

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
you shouldnt have needed to jack the motor up to get it out. take off the engine hoist ring above the alternator bracket, and pull the 2 coolant lines free from the black plastic clips that run along the side of the fenderwell going down towards the tranny tunnel, push aside the powersteering res. and with some wiggling and the right angle it will come up and free, less afew paint scratchs if your not careful.

ive personaly done dozens of foci alternators with zetec engines.
I definitely had to do that as well haha

Twice. Except I just slide the engine forward instead of lifting it.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
I would get the hell outta that "part changer" dump as quick as You can. Obviously, He is no mechanic, otherwise the problem would've been properly diagnosed and solved the first time around. That was pretty smart of Him to get that out of state crap warranty on refurbished(read:OLD) parts. Does He charge for "vehicle storage" as well? I just hope all works out for You and You Fo.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hit a bump a long time ago with my 2001 Focus ZTS. The engine started to stall on me. Turned out it's a mechanism Ford put in place that supposedly shuts off the gas after an accident. There's a button near the passenger side footwell you can reset this mechanism. So in my case, after stalling several times I called Ford roadside assistance (back then I still had the coverage) and they told me to push that button and sure enough everything worked again. Not sure if this was the problem you had. But just reading your thread it sounds very similar.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turns out that Reman. Alternator went bad... = /

Was "replaced" samed day... I dunno...

I really need to get myself some tools so I can start doing my own work on stuff like that...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts