Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Considering the Volt and Focus are bigger than the i-Miev and Leaf, they'll be more practical for consumers... and considering they're both at the same price-point, and the Focus has twice the estimated range... I think it'll come out on top when it's available, so long as the MFT bugs are ironed out with the revision.

·
Registered
238 Posts
yes in the future.........as in as soon as the Fusion is paid off the wife & I will be in the market for a E-Focus. Wouldn't have one as my only car, but as a daily commuter for either of us, it will be perfect. Her work even has charging stations avail. Looks like Ford really did thier homework on this one. She is already asking about colors and options.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
yes in the future.........as in as soon as the Fusion is paid off the wife & I will be in the market for a E-Focus. Wouldn't have one as my only car, but as a daily commuter for either of us, it will be perfect. Her work even has charging stations avail. Looks like Ford really did thier homework on this one. She is already asking about colors and options.
That's awesome! I'd be stuck using home as a charging station, nowhere near me in FL... lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's awesome! I'd be stuck using home as a charging station, nowhere near me in FL... lol.
Living in a hi-rise, I wouldn't even be able to do that. I don't know how plugin hybrids will be able to sell well in urban areas where most people live in multidwelling buildings and couldn't get a charging station even if they wanted to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Volt has a range extending engine, so you can go hundreds of miles if you have to. The E-Focus should come equipped with comfortable walking shoes.

Considering the Volt and Focus are bigger than the i-Miev and Leaf, they'll be more practical for consumers... and considering they're both at the same price-point, and the Focus has twice the estimated range... I think it'll come out on top when it's available, so long as the MFT bugs are ironed out with the revision.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Only problem with electrics is the range. I like to roadtrip ... alot and that limited range just wouldn't work for me. There's still alot of potential in the hybrids. 2nd gen Prius owners were getting like 60+ mpg by adding an extra plug in battery pack I believe. I believe also they are trying to come up with a way to quick charge the battery packs on electrics in minutes instead of hours. So you could potentially pull into a service station and charge up quickly like you were pumping gas. Say 5 minutes or so. Still, though if you were say, taking a 1000 mile roadtrip and had to recharge every 50 miles or so, that would be a heck of a lot of stops.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just wanted to point out that the Volt is a hybrid, not just an electric. Its full range is almost four times that of the Focus Electric when you take the gas tank into account. I don't think they're necessarily appealing to the same customer. But I do agree that the FE will be regarded as very practical to the pure electric market.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The Volt has a range extending engine, so you can go hundreds of miles if you have to. The E-Focus should come equipped with comfortable walking shoes.
I just wanted to point out that the Volt is a hybrid, not just an electric. Its full range is almost four times that of the Focus Electric when you take the gas tank into account. I don't think they're necessarily appealing to the same customer. But I do agree that the FE will be regarded as very practical to the pure electric market.
Shows how much I know about the Volt. Oh well, regardless, I haven't seen anything about "range-extending" being advertised... even the commercial only mentions the 35 mile range with the electric motor alone.

EDIT: the Focus has regenerative brakes, does this qualify as "range extending"?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
the Focus has regenerative brakes, does this qualify as "range extending"?
I think he was referring to a gasoline-powered generator for the battery (as is in the Volt).

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I think he was referring to a gasoline-powered generator for the battery (as is in the Volt).
Yeah I understand that, just wondering if the regenerative brakes qualify.. I'm unsure if the 70mi range is including braking regeneration or not, so I was just asking.

So for those looking for an electric vehicle who don't want to spend money on gas at all, to get any more than 35 miles out of the Volt you'll still be paying for some gas... a most likely trivial amount in comparison to a full tank of gas in a car, but still some nonetheless.

It'll be a tough market to say the least, each competitor has it's advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
56 Posts
$40k - ouch!

Living in a hi-rise, I wouldn't even be able to do that. I don't know how plugin hybrids will be able to sell well in urban areas where most people live in multidwelling buildings and couldn't get a charging station even if they wanted to.
Concur, although the target has to be the suburban households that commute via interstate.
Although I like the thought and love the E-Focus, consumers are really going to drive the future of electric vehicles.
The point of charging stations is a major player for the non-commute owner.

As for the price point .... typical FORD too high. Looking at the Hybrid ESCAPE and the reg. ESCAPE the price difference is a lot if you do the math on gas saved for the life of the car loan. But, it will sell .... but probably not as much if they could have kept the post-$7500 tax credit under $30K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts