Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets make this happen guys. Get two pictures a couple mile apart to make sure your not cheating :)

Please Note my car is already Modified and Dynoed to confirm HP gains from my mods and Not all cars will get the same gas mileage. I am also in Florida Again No Hills very straight roads.

2.5" Borla Dual Catback Exhaust, H&R sport springs (for whats its worth figured I would state any difference in our cars), Ford Racing Wing, K&N Intake, and .050 Spark gap from .044 (going larger next dyno day to find max spark gap) and Mobile 1 Full Synthetic. I would Post dyno numbers but a certain company wouldnt be to happy with me so Ill leave it to them to decide when I can share the gains from certain mods.

With Some tailwind.

Alot of Headwind (3mpg drop from 55)

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alot of people ask. Its always better to have a bigger spark gap. If you can jump the gap at .006" more why not? Bigger gap means larger spark (more heat) and more complete fuel burn which these direct injection cars benefit from so very nicely. Ideal way to do it is by just going bigger and bigger and you will know when your at your max spark range back it off a tid bit and now you know that the car is making the Best spark and heat it can make to burn all the fuel.

Its like on my turbo car they say .020-.025 is ideal but if you can get away with higher spark gap without blowing out the spark from boost DO IT!

Im sure you can google it and see the benefits.

From MSD themselves.

The spark plug is the point in the ignition system where electrical energy is converted into heat, consequently, the larger the gap the greater the amount of heat available to light the air/fuel mixture. However, too large of gap combined with increased cylinder pressures can put excessive pressures on the initial voltage needed to ionize (cross) the gap. Finding the optimum plug gap for your application is best determined by experimentation because there are so many engine variables to consider.

An MSD Ignition Control has enough output power to consistently fire wider spark plug gaps on a performance engine. As a starting point, follow the engine builder or manufacturer’s recommendation for the plug gap. With that, you can experiment with increasing the gap until the best performance is found.

As a rule of thumb, it is recommended to increase the plug gap by .005” - .010” followed by testing and tuning. Keep in mind that larger spark plug gaps also place increasing demands on the secondary portion of the ignition system including the distributor cap and rotor, coil wire, and spark plug wires. They should all be in top condition and checked periodically during the race season. Remember that electricity takes the path of least resistance to a ground so if the gap is too large the spark may short to another point with less resistance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am googleing it and finding weird things lol Cant wait to see dyno numbers from your mods though... including the spark gap difference.

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
how does the borla exhaust sound?

·
Registered
712 Posts
OK, not trying to be insulting or argumentative....But, if this gap mod is so obviously a good idea, why doesn't the factory just do it. They can sell more units if it gets better MPG. It's not that i think the factory engineers are infallible Gods, but if the benefits outweigh the down sides, they would come with a large gap from the factory.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, not trying to be insulting or argumentative....But, if this gap mod is so obviously a good idea, why doesn't the factory just do it. They can sell more units if it gets better MPG. It's not that i think the factory engineers are infallible Gods, but if the benefits outweigh the down sides, they would come with a large gap from the factory.
Multiple reasons. Factory OEM equipment sometimes fails if there to much of a load to jump the gap.. Nowhere near as possible with COP ignitions.

Leaving the Gap Smaller then max means the most reliable the ignition system will be. Its a warrantied car would you rather max the ignition system and risk damaging something on the ignition before the warranty? Thats engineers covering their butts.

Also Less spark plug life from the high heat.

Racers have been doing this for years and its not something I would ever argue about with anyone on any forum because its proven so thanks for not being an D with your post! (Not sarcastic in anyway honestly thank you)

how does the borla exhaust sound?
Fantastic I will get a couple of really good videos soon just waiting for my camera man!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lets make this happen guys. Get two pictures a couple mile apart to make sure your not cheating :)

Please Note my car is already Modified and Dynoed to confirm HP gains from my mods and Not all cars will get the same gas mileage. I am also in Florida Again No Hills very straight roads.

2.5" Borla Dual Catback Exhaust, H&R sport springs (for whats its worth figured I would state any difference in our cars), Ford Racing Wing, K&N Intake, and .050 Spark gap from .044 (going larger next dyno day to find max spark gap) and Mobile 1 Full Synthetic. I would Post dyno numbers but a certain company wouldn't be to happy with me so Ill leave it to them to decide when I can share the gains from certain mods.

I'd think the H&R springs might be one of the better gains for mpgs. Lowering the car reduces drag and mpg gains can be quite qood from this. I'm going to change the spark gap on mine and report back, thanks for pointing that out. Do you have any data on the car before you added the mods (mpg wise?)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'd think the H&R springs might be one of the better gains for mpgs. Lowering the car reduces drag and mpg gains can be quite qood from this.
Gah... I should've gone with the SE and did mods like this on my own. What was I thinking?

EDIT: Although, I don't want to get too close to the ground. Perhaps I'll design some suspension components that get lower and stiff at highway speeds... I've heard these exist in other cars.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
A different point about 'spark plug gap'
The stock gap starts out at 044.
Now with a plug that is supposed to stay in the engine for 100,000 miles..
Starting at 044 will allow the gap to grow with wear. and perhaps the end-life gap will be 005.(or even greater)
So if you start out at 005.. and use those plus for 100,000 mi they may not last, as the gap will grow with wear, and perhaps get too big to function BEFORE 100,000 miles.
A point i think was forgotten.

The specific gap idea came from racing. Where a plug might be used for a few thousand miles and tossed. Or regapped often.
So take regapping your plugs with a grain of salt.
IF you plan on checking them every 20,000miles and regapping them again and again. go for it. If not, I suggest leaving well enough alone.

(one other issue is the spark plug washer, it is a one time crush washer. and might work for a second insert, but is not really good for multiple inserts. So just buying new plugs every other time at least...(as now new replacement washers for plugs is like where? none available i know of anymore)
And yeah, plenty of folks reuse sparkplugs over and over without replacing the washer...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'll be impressed when you average this over a whole tank. It's easy to get these numbers when resetting the system & cruising at 50.

EDIT: and why not post dyno numbers?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'll be impressed when you average this over a whole tank. It's easy to get these numbers when resetting the system & cruising at 50.

I agree, get a Fuelly!

I don't think running a dyno would be exposing some type of proprietary information, right?

·
Registered
171 Posts
A different point about 'spark plug gap'
The stock gap starts out at 044...
The specific gap idea came from racing. Where a plug might be used for a few thousand miles and tossed. Or regapped often.
So take regapping your plugs with a grain of salt.
IF you plan on checking them every 20,000miles and regapping them again and again. go for it. If not, I suggest leaving well enough alone.

(one other issue is the spark plug washer, it is a one time crush washer. and might work for a second insert, but is not really good for multiple inserts...
I like to tool around with my cars so I'll probably check them every 20k anyways... good point on the washer though.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Because said companies would not be happy that I exposed numbers without their consent on parts that wont be released till early next year. Especially since on their websites they dont have their own numbers what can be expected by adding said part.

Same way steeda is about their pre-released parts. Noone will post numbers on steedas intake yet until its released same reason even tho ive seen one at Steeda.
Red probably has aswell.

55 and 60 and yes I could use a whole tank to get that amount if i felt like proving something more and wasting a tank doing so. No point in driving 500+ miles out of my way to demonstrate the gas mileage the car gets at cruising speeds. Im not Top Gear :) Cant say I have a problem getting 400+ to a tank with 50/50 city highway. considering my 01 gets maybe 200 to a tank on premium.

On the Spark plug note I did say spark plugs wont last as long. And No .050 isnt the max thats just where we left them I suspect somewhere near .06 to be max gap Ill let you guys know.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd think the H&R springs might be one of the better gains for mpgs. Lowering the car reduces drag and mpg gains can be quite qood from this. I'm going to change the spark gap on mine and report back, thanks for pointing that out. Do you have any data on the car before you added the mods (mpg wise?)
My first tank probably wouldnt count. I modded this car at 400 miles at 55 when I first drove it home it got 41 and at 60 it got 37. Same Conditions and I got 370 to a tank at 11.7 gallons

·
Registered
321 Posts
I didn't see any parts in your mod list that aren't presently available to the public.

Also, I wasn't suggesting you burn a whole tank to prove a point, I was suggesting you won't see those MPG's realistically over time.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't see any parts in your mod list that aren't presently available to the public.

Also, I wasn't suggesting you burn a whole tank to prove a point, I was suggesting you won't see those MPG's realistically over time.
Its not a Filter and I have a Borla Custom but Borla Mandrel Bent none the less 2.5" Catback exhaust which ive sent them info and pictures about and they have something in the works for our cars so being someone that has used them for many custom exhaust set ups in the past with my 396 vette and my turbo zetec its a professional courtesy.

Ok I completely understand Total average between city and highway im at 36.9 right now so in that situation yes. But Im sure if you had a long road 500 or so miles where you can just keep it set to 60 the whole time you wouldnt be to far off.

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
so what fuel numbers were you getting before the mods?

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im sorry I wish anything I would say would be accurate but since the car was new after the first tank at 370 miles everythine has been modified so no i dont have base lines of MPG i know my first tank was 370 and my last wast 423 and this one is looking to be in the 420-430 range aswell. all three times will be around 11.7 gallons because I fill at 0 miles to empty and both times I was dead on 11.7ish car has a 12.5 gallon tank correct me if im wrong?

The car as promised from Ford is getting better gasmileage every tank im sure until its fully broken in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts