Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, you read it right, I got 40.7 MPG on a tank in my SVT! Of course it took just the right road and situation for it to be possible. I was on a trip with my family towards Texas and we decided we had enough time to take the 'scenic route'. So, we got off the interstate just past Jackson, MS and took the Natchez Trace Parkway to Natchez. I made a point to fill up before and after this stretch to see what my mileage would be. It is a beautiful drive, fairly flat, very little traffic and no trucks! But the kicker is that the speed limit is 50. Usually I would hate that, but it made the drive alot more peaceful and I was hoping it woud make 40 mpg possible. So I had the cruise set at 50 in 6th gear, very little stopping/starting/accelaration and about 92 miles later I topped off with only 2.26 gallons. Whoo-hoo, 40 MPG!!! [:D] Now if I could only keep my right foot off the floor the rest of the time because I'm only averaging a little over 23 mpg overall [:(]

·
Registered
814 Posts
wow that is some crazy miles. I think i have it 30mpg one time in my cars history, that was when i was on the freeway for a long time.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Grats on the 40 MPG, but 2.26 gallons isn't enough to calculate mileage.

I filled up with like 3 gallons and got 22.4 or something (my worst ever). I drove normally, where I usually get at least 27 MPG. I figure it's because I filled up my tank more than I usually do (probably stopped at like $4.01 or something and I filled up to $5). You should take that pass like 4 times without stopping for gas and see what it comes out to... I bet your next tank will be rather crappy mileage... it comes out in the end.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
damn man congrats............the most i have ever gotten in mine was on a trip and it was like 36

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Granted, calcuating MPG is usually done based on a full tank, not 2 gallons. But if you always top it off, it will be just as accurate with 2 gallons as it is with 13. On my trip, I topped off the tank, drove 92 miles and it took me 2.26 gallons to top it off afterwards. The tank before and the tank after were about 28.5 mpg, which is a little above what I normally get on the highway. The tank after that was about 21.8, but considering I burned up a good bit of that on the track, that is still good.
Maybe one of these days I can head up to Nashville and take the whole Natchez Trace all 450 miles to Natchez at 50 mph and see what kind of mileage I get... Then I'll do the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I'm sure with the hills I won't get 40 mpg there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
On a trip to Wisconsin recently, I got 200 miles on half a tank (well, 199.6, and the gauge was just touching the halfway mark). When I filled up at 232 miles, I put 5.875 gallons in it. That's around 39 MPG, where I usually get 21 around town.

We had the cruise on, 75 the majority of the time, and little traffic (drove at night, when we got back it was like I had used bug guts to laquer the car, nasty nasty..)

Of course, my joy at seeing decent fuel consumption figures was dampened by having the steering rack take a piddle in it's boots.[?|]

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I have a palm dyno that reads through the OBDII port. It has a fuel mileage guage as part of the software. Driving around with this is enlightening. You sure do get an idea of what affects gas mileage.
Good deal with that 40mpg!. From what you said about the conditions, I have no problem believing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts