Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it has been 4 years since my last post and I have gone 57 months and 125,000 miles on my 2003 Focus SVT 6-Speed with out any problems......until today.

Got in the car this morning at 4:40AM started fine and ran at idle for a minute or two. Backed out of my parking spot and pulled out of the neighborhood slowly in first gear just above idle (about 200 yards). Made a rolling stop at the end of the court and made a left going pretty slow because I am still in the nighborhood......shifted to second gear let the clutch out and the car would not go......

The rpms would not get above 2000 RPMs......I pushed in the clutch and let off the gas and shifted to neutral....car idled fine and reved fine.....put it back into gear and car idled fine....let out on the clutch and the car struggled to move......could not get the rpms up to take off the car felt like it was misfiring....pushed clutch in and the car idled fine and reved fine....put it into reverse....same thing as first gear.....I rolled the car off to the side of the road and walked home and took the wifes car to work today.....

I did not notice any odd sounds from the transmission during any of this so I am completely lost as to what the problem could be.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me.....I would like to try and get the car back home tonight when I get home from work.....

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know if this is relevant, but my dad's ZX3 had the same problem. The car would not rev beyond 2000RPM while in gear. We had the problem diagnosed and it turned out the catalytic converter went bad, clogging the exhaust. Luckily, Ford has something like a 6 year warranty on the catalytic converter, so we got ours fixed for free. Now the car is running strong. Maybe your SVT's catalytic converter needs to be changed because of the mileage?

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
I had a problem with my Cat clogging at 50k. I agree with Importtunerz, it could be the cat.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Welcome back!
Though, it's too bad it's not under better circumstances.

Do you have an AutoZone (or other parts store) that you'll pass on your way home?
Most will scan for any error codes for free.
That would be the first place to start, to see if any codes were set.
(Which is what 1turbofocus was getting at in asking if you had a Predator or XCal2. Both will read and clear codes.)

BTW, Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat".

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
Def sounds like the cat, i had the same issue in my ST. And you should come out to our G2Gs(Get togethers).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The waterproof connector at the coil pack.....1 of the three wires must have dry rotted and broke off right at the connector......when the motor was in gear the slight movement of the motor would pull the wire apart.....so it would misfire on 2 cylinders.....

It looks like the wiring harness goes all over the engine compartment.....I think I need to make a trip to the junk yard for a replacement.

Thanks

Andrew

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
PN 3U2Z-14S411-TNA about $20. Comes with everything needed to connect; heat shrink, connectors, etc... I bought mine a few years ago but any parts guy should be able to find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts