Discussion Starter #1
Here's my list:

1. FS CAI
2. Magnaflow 2.25"
3. Cosworth Head/flex
4. Stage 1 crane cams
5. SCT2

Here's my questions:

A. How much CRANK HP/Torque should I have?
B. How much WHEEL HP/Torque should I have?
C. What would the difference in power be if I upped it to a 2.5" exhaust?
D. When all is said and done, will I have enough power to keep up with a stock 2003 Acura 3.2CL type-S from 0 to 80MPH WOT?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I dunno the answers to A,B, or C, but I know that a 3.2 CL-S has 260 crank hp, and a LSD.

They do 0-60 in no more than 6.3 seconds, say the major magazines. They're QUICK, that may be a tough one...

Lamar

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
2.5" exhaust if you are going with the cosworth header, it is just plain dumb to use a 2.25. the number just don't make any sense, the primaries on the cosworth header are 1 and 7/8, going from four of those to one 2.25 just doesn't work

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks for the response's. I know my buddy's car is definitely quick..but it doesn't feel like it's insanely fast. It has a lot of power and really screams after 5500 RPMs...but I honestly think that if my car had 190+/- HP...he would not beat me by much. Maybe I'm wrong and I guess we'll see.

Thanks for clarifying Brian...but I still don't know if the quarter inch is worth it. I need a number value. I understand the head has large primaries and all..but I still don't see how a quarter inch would make such a fantastic difference??

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how bout this...my own poll...all you gotta do is type one number!!!

a. FS CAI
b. Magnaflow 2.25"
c. Cosworth Head/flex
d. Stage 1 crane cams
e. SCT2

1. Crank HP: 140-150
2. Crank HP: 150-160
3. Crank HP: 160-170
4. Crank HP: 170-180
5. Crank HP: 180-200

·
Registered
950 Posts
1. sorry bro, our four bangers don't take mods to well

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i'm guessing in the 3 range with your 2.3. unless its an auto

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
what do the 2.3's have stock 150bhp? So with your mods im guessing you probably free'ed 10-20hp or so. Im going to agree with nomoreavril and say choice 3.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya 150. They say the CAI free's up over 10 itself on my car since it's a PZEV with like 18 different air boxes. That said..wouldn't my header be good for like another 8? Then the cams and tune should compliment those other two mods nicely right?

I'm pretty sure I am getting to 60 on a flat surface in the low to mid 7s....

You all don't think I'll cut off 1 second with all those mods?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
15.9 vs 19.6 square inches is the answer, that's almost a 20% increase in area.

What i'm speaking of is the area of the circle for each diameter.

·
Registered
950 Posts
oh shit never mind, i though you were talking FWHP, more like 3 or four i'd say

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
touche.....

lots of area there.

So this difference in area, what will be the difference in HP? If it's only a few horsepower maybe I ought to just get a BS delete and not worry bout the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Why are you willing to spend big money on a header but not a few dollars more for the right exhaust?

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that depends on what a few dollars is....

Could I take it to midas and have them weld new 2.5" pipes in place of the old ones? How much you think they'd do it for? My whole exhaust system cost' me 350 total.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That's not something I've ever priced out, you could also sell your current exhaust to recoup some of the cost.

Make sure everything is mandrel bent and you are using mufflers/resonators of sufficient size.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool I'll look into it for sure.

So Aero, do you think I'll be able to keep up with a 3.2?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I honestly have no clue.

I stay as far away as possible from street racing and it's something I am VERY against as it brings pressure and a negative image to all of us that play it straight and take it to the track.

·
Registered
230 Posts
aero_student said:
I honestly have no clue.

I stay as far away as possible from street racing and it's something I am VERY against as it brings pressure and a negative image to all of us that play it straight and take it to the track.
he never said he was street racing, maybe he plans on doing this at the track...

BTW The ZX3 is roughly 1000 pounds lighter than the CL so that is a definate advantage there.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
|talian $tallion said:
he never said he was street racing, maybe he plans on doing this at the track...

BTW The ZX3 is roughly 1000 pounds lighter than the CL so that is a definate advantage there.
yeah, riiight. i wasn't born yesterday. the way the post was written in no way indicates that this will be taking place somewhere legal.
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html
apparently it runs high 14's stock.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your info aero. Since where I will race is not the question I'll keep this thread on task.

So the CL does high 14's in the quarter? That seems high to me. My buddy's car certainly feels faster than my car does...but then again I've never driven it and it's different from the passenger seat.

I know my car has a great weight advantage because when I have a passenger in my car it feels like a slug..but when I'm alone it feels quick, where as his Acura doesn't seem to change with 3 passenger's in it.

I just wanna smoke his 25,000 dollar Acura in my econobox because he's a pretentious little girl!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts