Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
i have seen good and bad

i bought a shorty header for my car from ebay, fitment was horrid, and had to modify the header a bit to get it to fit

two months later, it wasnt clearing the steering rack well enough, and it ruptured a line, which i could not even buy at the ford dealer. SO i had to MAKE a power steering line, which took two days to perfect, becuase of the insane bend that it made, plus all the line flaring etc...

idk man, i say give it a shot, but if it doesnt fit, dont try to make it fit, just send it back

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
what the heck is that little piece??? zetec's don't require it. my guess is after trying to fit it, you will shoot urself!!

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I'd steer away. I bought a cheap ebay CAI and it literally fell off on the highway. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Of all the ebay posts on these forums, I don't think I have seen anything positive. Put the money towards something legit, like the svt header....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, I imagine you get what you pay for. I think the header fits striaght to the flexpipe(like the obx) I assume the little pipe pictured with the header is for fitting it to the stock svt flexpipe.

·
Registered
975 Posts
i had an obx 4-1 long tube header and it came with a 2.5 flex for 140. i ran it for over a year with zero problems. i have svt header now. i also bought an ebay CAI about 2 years ago and to this day i have had zero problems. its just an aluminum pipe with a filter so whats the difference if it has an AEM sticker???? how ever i did get a different filter im sure the ebay filter is crappy and resrictive.
i say do it. its all the same metal with a different name.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ebay sucks! i got a cai from there............ nothing fit right. I purchased my OBX header off there and that is fine so far except the egr didn't line up right so i ended up plugging the hole. I wish i would have saved my money and got the svt header.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
hey hey hey now i bought my header off ebay and it worked out great. i only paid $100 for it. only problem i had was i had to wire brush the threads on the little pipe because they had been chromed over and it wouldnt screw on right until it was off. conducted an experiment with an svt header and the ebay header flowed damn near as good as the svt. mind you i doubt there is a header out there better than the svt for you the money you pay anyway but what i got from ebay was damn good. not all their stuff is crap. i say try it. READ ALL THE FINE PRINT. and if it doesnt work the way you like send it back. if anything in the fine print looks fishy then dont buy it. looking at the pic it has good size pipe, smooth bends, looks odd at the very end but it looks like it ought to flow pretty good.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I have good and bad luck from ebay. My OBX is still kicking strong after three years and it glows red hot due to my engine running extreamly lean. To this day it has yet to crack and its also wrapped up in header wrap. Best bang for the buck mod next to my cam gears. I also had bought a shorty header just like Matt and the fitment was a nightmare. One of the primarys was touching the head! then the dang thing cracked in less than a year. The OBX was a diffrent story great fitment bolted right up and gave the top end I craved for. I was running the shorty header with a hollowed out cat and the performance between the short and long was top end the shorty fell on its face at 5k rpm but the OBX (4-2-1) gave all the gains down low and added a top end to the car that it did'nt have before. The header in the pics looks like it comes with an adapter for the SVT focus to use that header. It deffinitly won't fit a zetec has the flex not that you would want a solid flex lol. I say try it. If its really bad then just repost it on e-bay and try to get your money back

·
Registered
975 Posts
what kind of experiment did u do??

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i dont think that little peice is a flex i think its there just to bolt up to the cat.

FYI OP-it says something about chrome polish, dont expect it to stay that way for long. your best bet is to wrap it up IMO

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I just learned the hard way thats all. Stay away from any shorty headers that are not a welll know brand in a good way. The long tubes mostly always work thought only problem that is hit and miss is the quality. I heard horrible things about the OBX and then heard some good things. Now everybody is sayingn mostly good things. Mainly it boils down to HP+TQ Vs. SVT header. If that header does'nt work out you can always use that extra extinsion to put a svt header on with?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
that extra peice is an exhaust cut out for if you want to run strait header with no exhaust. also now that i look into it more i suggest you stay away from that thing because you wont gain as much as you could with a different one. that doesnt come with a bigger flex pipe. you will have to bolt it to your stock flex unless you pay more for a bigger flex from some1 else. looks like a good header tho. by the way the experiment was that i bolted on the ebay header and dynoed it, waited for it to cool off and swapped it with the svt then repeated. ebay was mine the svt was a friends. bought them with plans to do both at the same time. we used my car for the experiment because it was closest to stock at the time and because both headers happened to be in my trunk on dyno day down the road from my house.

·
Registered
975 Posts
how many times did u dyno and what are ur numbers?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^yeah can't say that then leave us hanging like that. Those numbers are what everyone has been waiting for someone to do. Unless you already posted somewhere could you post a link to that thread please?

Also if anyone wants to see what my car dynoed at you can see it in the zetec dyno thread

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101161

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
sorry i didnt get back to yous guys sooner. ill see if i can find the printouts of the dyno runs today. they should be around here somewhere but right now off the top of my head. i made 2 runs on stock and then 4 more on each different header. keep in mind before i post the numbers later that this is an internally stock engine at the time and on a mustang dyno at that. i remember the stock numbers were 109 hp and 121ft/lbs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts