Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to this game and I was browsing through the FR catalog and came across the 4.06 Final drive "kit." What exactly does this do? Does it make the car have to rev higher to achieve the same speed as the orginal stock setting, thereby increasing power? I really don't know. If anyone has done this please fill me in. Thanx

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
It changes the gear ratio to the wheels, stock is 3.82 or 3.86, something like that. So you would have more felt power down low, the car would leave from a stop harder, but you would have higher rpms at highway cruise. Make sense?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats just what I was thinkin it did. So it will in effect "lower" all the gears so to maintain a certain speed the engine will be revving higher. I suppose this takes a hit against your gas mileage ;(

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i imagine it would lower you top speed, too, by the sound of it. not that any of us would ever reach that on the track or the street. maybe the street, if you were stupid.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It'll make for a quicker E.T. And the overall increase of RPM at say a 65mph cruise, would only be about 300rpms.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That gear is only for the MTX-75.....not Getrag 6 speed. It WOULD be nice if somebody offered a lower gearset for our trannies.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It'd prob be best if you could somehow change just 1st gear. I don't know why 1st is so damn high! Our twin layshaft deal would probably be a pain in the neck to change the gears around in though because how it has twin final drives.

·
Registered
524 Posts
RecoilRob said:
That gear is only for the MTX-75.....not Getrag 6 speed. It WOULD be nice if somebody offered a lower gearset for our trannies.
Isn't it scary that 4 people (and one of them a moderator) responded to this question on the SVT boards before you came on to tell them that's for the other tranny - the one that doesn't come on the SVT?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It would be really nice if 1st was ALOT lower. I get dusted by my bros EGT off the line if I dont do an aggressive high-rpm drop :/ . Having a lower 1st would probably help the clutch out a bit too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts