Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys was wondering will having an aftermarket flomaster exhaust void my warranty if im taking my car in to have the tranny checked? It grinds when I put it in 3rd too fast so im pretty sure its my synchro. And my throwout bearing is knocking when I dont have the clutch pushed in. Will all that be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I'd say it depends on the dealership.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The only way they can legally refuse to repair the transmission under warranty is if they claim that the exhaust mod caused the damage. This is federal law.

I can't think of any possible way that an exhaust can damage a transmission, so raise hell if they refuse.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
They have an easier out, to say it was driver error. Not that I hope the O.P. gets this answer.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I think the throwout bearing noise has a chance of being repaired, though even that depends on how noisy.

I've seen third gear synchro mentioned before on this trans type, again it's something dependent on how it feels when driven. If it only grinds when forced fast, could be considered normal.

Same trans in mine likes "click click" shifting, NOT happy if you try to force it fast or get lazy & shift too slow/don't move the lever far enough.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Hey guys was wondering will having an aftermarket flomaster exhaust void my warranty if im taking my car in to have the tranny checked? It grinds when I put it in 3rd too fast so im pretty sure its my synchro. And my throwout bearing is knocking when I dont have the clutch pushed in. Will all that be covered under warranty?
Regarding the MTX-75 5 speed manual transmission:

Knocking sound when clutch is not depressed= normal gear lash rattle

Knocking sound when clutch is depressed= possible bad throwout bearing

The gear lash rattle can be rather loud on the MTX-75, especially when the engine is hot. If the knocking sound goes away when you depress the clutch, your throwout bearing is probably not bad.

The exhaust modification should not impact warranty coverage by itself but it may cause Ford to scrutinize the reason for the transmission third gear problem. (spirited driving) As long as they can't prove abuse, you are covered.

If you do like slamming gears, don't admit to it here. The Ford reps are watching! [burnout]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts