Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i go into third gear, it crunches, but is okay. i know that the synchronizers are messed up, is there a way to fix them? or do i need a new tranny? how difficult are shifter cables to replace?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
You can replace the syncros, but it may just be cheaper for you to find a new tranny!! u can find em used for about 300 bucks or so. Shifter cables are fairly easy, just time consuming!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
you would need to change out the synchronizers

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
I have the same problem as you! my friend felix said that theres some type of syncromesh that might help out, am gona try that out, and I am also gona buy a new trans

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
this may sound mean and dumb, but are you making sure your in gear before releasing the clutch. you could be grinding gears cus your releasing to early.

·
Registered
975 Posts
i used to have a 3rd gear crunch. then i adjusted my cables and my tranny shifts like butter

·
Registered
62 Posts
my 3rd would grind too but only when i was dragging out the geers to like 7k or so then i got a lightened flywheel and centerforce clutch and it went away

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
I have had that same problem with my focus. This spring im planning on getting a clutch and flywheel kit for my car and was thinking about having the tranny rebuilt while i was at it. But it sounds like you guys are saying just the clutch and a minor adjustment or two will fix it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 3-4 syncro is weak in the mtx 75. I just replaced all the seals,bearings and the 3-4 syncro. I think all the parts were like 300 bucks or so. Replace the shifter cables while your there too, they were a pain to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts