Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

I need to fill the top intake runner valleys on my Zetec Intake Manifold (ZX2) so I can port it. Its needs to be strong and can withstand from falling apart either when spraying or N/A.

Someone recommended using 3M panel adhesive and that should withstand porting and not fall apart.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Page 3 close to the bottom fiber reinforced plastic and what the intake is made of. You have to guess at the 200 degree number, they give higher on steel and 200 is commonly seen by parts under the hood.

No epoxy on earth lasts forever used in porting and greater amounts. It is strongest when very thin holding other materials together, not as a structural member itself and says so in other places in the .pdf. Engine swallowing a big chunk of it can be very ugly BTDT.

We had utter fits finding any epoxy that worked for long periods of time in porting applications when I used to do it, you just accept that epoxy repair is something you do on a semi-regular basis. And we weren't blowing into it either, simple NA for holes cut in head materials that had to be patched when the porting gets so big. The pulsation in intakes was what pulled the glue loose, say at thick uses of it on pushrod side intake port in V-8 head use. Heat exposure makes all epoxy gradually come loose too as well as solvent (fuel) exposure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the information.

You are making me re-think how I want to go about porting my intake manifold. Maybe take away as much plastic away as possible in the inner runners without filling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts