Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used Fofo Sedan and I'm planning on taking it to a detailing shop to get it cleaned up; Rust Proofing, Fabric Guard (leather interior), Undercoating (may skip that one since I've heard a lot of cons with it) and finally Permanent Shine and 3M on the front bumper and hood.

My concern is a conflict between the Permanent Shine and the 3M. With Permanent shine you 'never have to wax your car again' http://theautoprotectors.com/permanent-shine.html. On the other hand with 3M I'm told that it will yellow after a year or two if you don't wax the car a few times a year.

Does anyone have first hand experience with both or either of these two treatments. Do they conflict with each other or will having both of them help preserve my exterior for a long time. In Calgary people always have horror stories of the flying rocks on the highway that leave chips and scratches all over the front of your car (not to mention half the population having cracked windshields)!

Any help/advice on this would be great [8D]

·
Registered
383 Posts
You just have to be careful. A lot of those "protection for life" deals are just a gimmick like the simoniz treatments dealers will sell. The are just a sealant/wax product. There are some excellent long last products out in the detailing world that can give you years of protection. I'd look around for a well qualified detailer that could help you out.

I believe you are talking about a clear film with the 3m? They are great products, but need to be taken care of properly. Some clear film companies supply products made to clean them. I believe they can be polished and maintained with the correct product.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vaboom -

I was going to get those services through my dealer but after some research called them back and cancelled that. I'm looking into a few local detailers who I trust way more when it comes to quality. Plus they aren't inflating the prices of the work however much.

I'm going to have to do some research on the upkeep/maintenance of the 3M. It sounds great but I want to know more so I don't end up with a yellow car

1 - 3 of 3 Posts