Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I have read and reviewed that the stock coil will work up to 500 WHP.

But, I guessim in denial. I would like to see proof of how you come to this coclusion ? Some facts,test etc...

I know there arent many of you making 300 HP, so how do you know?

For some reason, im thinking I need/Want to upgrade the stock coil, Screamning Demond or MSD...

Give me reasons/Facts why I shouldnt waist my money.

·
Registered
441 Posts
well i can tell you first hand that it does support 350+whp. The only reason why I changed to the screaming demon coil is because my stock coil finally went out after 125,000 miles of constant abuse and 35,000 of that being over 300whp. The biggest thing is a good set of wires and one step colder copper plugs that are properly gaped.

My reason why you shouldn't waste your money right now on going to a screaming demon coil or MSD setup is why spend money on something that isn't broke right now. Yeah If you have a ass ton of miles on your stock stuff and your going to replace it with something then make the upgrade but if you don't have a ton of miles then your stock stuff is going to work just fine and if it doesn't then oh well you end up having to buy it anyways. If I didn't have my screaming demon coil and wires already sitting around because I bought them before I would have just went with another stock coil. Was working great for me.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
facts? tests? have you searched?

the vast majority (if not all) of the 300+ builds on this site are on the factory motorcraft coil

In fact, im pretty sure Tom's 720whp drag car... stock coil.

·
FF Affiliate
30,934 Posts
I never found a need to change coils , If you feel the need do the MSD/zx2 wires the screamin deamin is a waste of time in my opinion

Tom

·
Registered
216 Posts
The DIS will do you no good. The only thing that you can use on it is the two-step. Our ECU had adaptive learning, so any timing you pull with the MSD, the ECU will eventually override.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
adaptive learning does not apply to timing...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the DIS II was for the 2 step, and ignition cut, rathher than fuel cut. Better overal spark

·
Registered
305 Posts
The DIS will do you no good. The only thing that you can use on it is the two-step. Our ECU had adaptive learning, so any timing you pull with the MSD, the ECU will eventually override.
Isn't adaptive learning turned off in most forced induction tunes anyways?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
if youre getting a lot of part throttle boost you may want to go ahead and richen things up and remove adaptive learning.

or if your tune is really really good (within 5%) then you might as well just run off stft and turn adaptive off.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Me (best run of 386whp on the stock motor) and EgbertNR both run the stock coil as well.

·
Registered
804 Posts
i agree on all posts
but isn't it just nicer to have anything "upgraded" from stock especially with the money dumped into our engines?

im N/A and the upgraded coil pack and plug wires with one step colder plugs jsut makes for a smoother idle and form what my butt dyno can tell smoother acceleration?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Considering the stock coil is a 40k volt coil and MSD's usually run around 42k volts is that really an upgrade???

Your not even going to notice 2k volts at those levels, I can maybe getting the MSD coil if the stock one fails but then again your still looking at almost double the cost for a fraction more juice from an already proven factory part.

They make a 67mm TB now... are you going to sell your 65mmTB and get the bigger one??? If not then why not??? Its an upgrade from the one you have.......

·
Registered
804 Posts
Considering the stock coil is a 40k volt coil and MSD's usually run around 42k volts is that really an upgrade???

Your not even going to notice 2k volts at those levels, I can maybe getting the MSD coil if the stock one fails but then again your still looking at almost double the cost for a fraction more juice from an already proven factory part.

They make a 67mm TB now... are you going to sell your 65mmTB and get the bigger one??? If not then why not??? Its an upgrade from the one you have.......
i kno but we're talkin stock parts i'd jump my stock TB to 67 if i did not have a 65 in the first place not if i already had a 65(cuz technically i already spent the money it did not come with the car)

i guess its nice for the "Ooh Ahh!" factor lol i donno

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Trust me, 300+ whp in my focus in all the "ooh Ahh" factor I have ever needed. A coil pack is not going to do do anything more for me. And if you try to keep the stock covers in the engine bay you can't even see the CP...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts