Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are 300mm 4x108 (SVT size) blank rotors that are plated available? I'm running on EBC blanks right now and they're great, but they rust like there's no tomorrow...so far all I've been able to find are the slotted/dimpled EBC 300mm rotors that BAT sells and I'd like to stick with plain rotors if there are any plated ones available.

Thanks in advance [thumb]

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
i also have some ebc rotors, and would agree that they are VERY prone to rust. I hate mine..they look horrible! what about Brembo OEM blanks?? or powerslots??

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
AFAIK both companies don't make 300mm plated rotors in 4x108. I'm running the BAT Inc front kit, which uses the same rotors as the SVT so I'm stuck with that size...not that I would want to go back to the stock setup [:D]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here's just and idea that worked out well for me. I bought the BAT Inc blank rotors and some good, high-quality, high-temp paint - black. I masked off the braking surfaces so I could paint the center portion of the rotors, sprayed them, carefully pulled off the masking, and then they went in the over to bake the paint on. Initially, I wasn't too condifent it would last but has it ever! The baking process really makes the paint adhere well to the rotors. The key I think is cleaning them really well before painting - make sure you get all of the oils off, then repeat the process to be sure.

If I had it to do again, I would have painted the outer circumference too - at the edge where the cooling vanes are, there is rust now. It's not easy to see, but I see it and if I had painted it initially, it wouldn't be rusting.

Worth a try if you don't mind the stink of baking paint for a few hours in your house. Really, it worked great and I was able to keep the non-slotted rotors and get some good looks out of it too. The paint was the 1500 or 1200 degree stuff from the parts store - it says on the can too, bake it on if you can cause it will stick much better if cooked on.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
yeah, i see the G3000 SVT sived rotors have an electrostatic anti-corrosion coating and dam, only 45 ea. for my stock sized discs....looks like i found some new rotors...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Ask for Andy, he'll take care of you. They have a good price on pads too.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Plating might really screw up the friction characteristics of the rotor. Rotors are cast iron and rust quickly, just wash the car, but one stop and it's taken off. Don't worry about it, it's natural

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plating gets rubbed off within the first mile or so that the rotors are on the car...the idea is it keeps the unswept parts of the rotor from rusting. I made the mistake of not painting my rotors before installing them, and three days later anything that wasn't swept was covered in a thick layer of rust. I have to wire-brush them and paint the unswept areas, and now even with the paint they're still rusting.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
PDQEagle said:
Plating might really screw up the friction characteristics of the rotor.
They're not plated on the braking surface...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts