Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting clutch stutter.
Dealer wants $3000 to replace the clutch on my ST.
Besides the cost, I'm scared they will mess something up.
Should I go for it or look somewhere else?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I don't know what the right price would be but $3,000 is way too much. I can have a automatic transmission pulled from a car rebuilt and put back in $1,000 cheaper than that. I would say $1,500. A clutch kit for the ST is not that expensive let's say you also replace the throwout bearing, and slave cylinder still shouldn't exceed $500 in parts and that's pushing it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
FUBARCUS
7,763 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Looks like the flywheel on these are $400+, so they're probably hitting you with $700+ in OEM parts. $3K stilll seems high. I'd at least get estimates from reputable trans shops.

·
FUBARCUS
7,763 Posts
I've never had to replace a flywheel in a clutch job ever. I have done a few. $3,000 is very high.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile
Dual mass flywheel shouldn't be machined

·
Registered
871 Posts
OP, how are your motor mounts? I thought I was having clutch issues b/c I'd feel a vibe when releasing it, but it was a slowly failing passenger mount.

I've never had to replace a flywheel in a clutch job ever. I have done a few. $3,000 is very high.
Without seeing the flywheel, maybe the dealer is giving a high estimate in case they need to change it. Agree that it's still too high.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Dual mass flywheel shouldn't be machined
Never had to do that either. I have done clutch jobs in multiple Vehicles never a issue. Had a Nissan Maxima with blue spots all over it $700 just for the flywheel. The Guy was not going to pay for it did the job worked fine no issues no complaints. Sometimes you just have to try things. Flywheels sometimes need to be replaced but not every time that depends on the circumstance.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Never had to do that either. I have done clutch jobs in multiple Vehicles never a issue. Had a Nissan Maxima with blue spots all over it $700 just for the flywheel. The Guy was not going to pay for it did the job worked fine no issues no complaints. Sometimes you just have to try things. Flywheels sometimes need to be replaced but not every time that depends on the circumstance.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile
I'd for sure show the customer & mention to him & written & have him sign the r/o that there's no warranty on something like that. Yea there are going to be times that you'd get lucky. Another variable is how the vehicle is driven as you'll never know. Kinda similar to pad slaps vs swapping rotors or turning them.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ford parts to do the clutch, flywheel and slave for an SE 5 speed were around $500 if I recall. I would assume an ST set would be more expensive because it is a high performance vehicle
You could look into aftermarket single mass setups for the car and see what they price at. Single mass flywheels are at least serviceable down the road.

·
So mote be it
8,856 Posts
For $3k, I would be upgrading to a beefier clutch and doing an LSD at the same time. Call some transmission specific shops and ask for quotes. Spec stage 2 that can handle full bolt on e30 tq (will work with oem fly) and the M Factory LSD

Probably around $1500 for parts and another $1500 for labor
https://www.cjponyparts.com/focus-st-clutch-kits/c/4445/
MFactory Competition Products - Performance Driveline Components

I daily the spec stage 3+, lightweight fly, and Wavetrac LSD; no complaints. My wife still drives the car without issue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts