Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
That was my take on the error code too. It's just getting too much air now. What I don't understand though is why the computer doesn't just close the butterfly flap on the throttle body to make it right?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,248 Posts
So I've been looking at this and the reports of the Lean Condition engine code. After looking at the diagrams for the Air Filter box, and helping my friends work on vintage motorcycles, would it be possible that the error codes are being caused by there being too little restriction on the intake? The factory 12+ filter is inside a box with a opening much smaller than the total surface area of the filter. Would it be possible to restrict the filter so that air is still flowing through it, but is forced to go through a small opening before going into the filter to help mitigate the lean code? (i'm thinking something simple like a large piece of PVC pipe that slides over the majority of the filter with holes cut or drilled into the PVC, or something like the above posters did using a smaller aftermarket filter?)
With vintage motorcycles, you can wrap a pod filter with electrical tape to help fix an issue with too much air, and this lean code to me seems very similar.
The tube that the MAF goes in looks too large and short. MAF is calibrated for a certain diameter and length.Measure the inside diameter and length of the factory tube and the 12. Here is my setup . Steeda. I have also cut the factory mass airflow tube and used it on my daughters 05. You may be on to something with the pod filter theory but I believe it is the tube you are using.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
After I did this mod the engine ran LEAN on the Dyno , had to add fuel to make it happy and safe. When we added the fuel the power went up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
After I did this mod the engine ran LEAN on the Dyno , had to add fuel to make it happy and safe. When we added the fuel the power went up.
Why not cut down some of the air instead of adding fuel? Is it not possible to adjust the air intake via the throttle body or other way?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Why not cut down some of the air instead of adding fuel? Is it not possible to adjust the air intake via the throttle body or other way?
Would defeat the purpose of the swap. May as well leave the stock airbox. I'm not sure you have an understanding of how the system works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Would defeat the purpose of the swap. May as well leave the stock airbox. I'm not sure you have an understanding of how the system works.
Yep, think of the engine as an air pump. Make it easy for air to get in = more power (requires more fuel) , make it easier for air to get out (header, open exhaust) makes more power, needs more fuel.

A drastic change is too much for the stock system to compensate for so you get “a tune”.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think half the people doing it want a stock car with an easy to replace filter and no major performance impact, either positive or negative. Tuning and performance boost is good and all but we all can agree the lifetime filter nonsense is an issue.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think half the people doing it want a stock car with an easy to replace filter and no major performance impact, either positive or negative. Tuning and performance boost is good and all but we all can agree the lifetime filter nonsense is an issue.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using FF Mobile
This is more what I was going for myself. I do like the looks of my $12 intake but I was really just looking to get away from the lifetime filter as well. Is there a inexpensive tuner I can use to bump my fuel up with?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Sent from my Moto Z2 using FF Mobile
This is more what I was going for myself. I do like the looks of my $12 intake but I was really just looking to get away from the lifetime filter as well. Is there a inexpensive tuner I can use to bump my fuel up with?
I believe Mr. Tom sells a tuner for 450. The low cost tuners are junk. Free upgrades from Mr.Tom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cut down the tube with the mass air flow sensor in it and put a cone filter on but I am getting a check engine light for

1. mass or volume air flow circuit low
2. system too lean

The car is also running poorly

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I cut down the tube with the mass air flow sensor in it and put a cone filter on but I am getting a check engine light for

1. mass or volume air flow circuit low
2. system too lean

The car is also running poorly

Any ideas?
The mass air sensor only works in one direction. Flip tube with sensor around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2006 SE, 5 speed 2.0 and about 53K miles. I read about this lifetime filter and was like really?? Started searching and found this tutorial:

https://youtu.be/JEIwSLGYm6o

Found the Specter Filter at Autozone
Part # 8132
https://m.autozone.com/intake-system/universal-air-filter/spectre-red-medium-conical-air-filter/245771_0_0?aqs=

I used the two adapters that came with it and cut part of the MAF tube per the video. Car sounds amazing, it actually goes when you give it gas. Really happy for the $33 I spent. Haven't run a full tank through yet, so not sure on mileage.

Attachments

61 - 72 of 72 Posts