Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, don't know what happened to my pics, sorry. There are only two parts, really.

BTW, Sunny throws me that code in warm weather, but in winter, it's stopped.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Have you tried switching back to the original filter set up just to see if the issue persists? It may just have been coincidental that it is happening now. And unless you switch it back you will never know for certain.
Stepped away from the site for a while for various reasons.

Yes, I switched back to the stock setup (mainly as needed to pass emissions testing to renew plates) and the code went away and has not come back.

Haven't put the modified intake back on yet, but I am looking at some additional options and when I do I will post.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stepped away from the site for a while for various reasons.

Yes, I switched back to the stock setup (mainly as needed to pass emissions testing to renew plates) and the code went away and has not come back.

Haven't put the modified intake back on yet, but I am looking at some additional options and when I do I will post.
Thank you for letting us know, I am keeping an eye out for an intake as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How come when I put a after market air filter on the car runs like crap. Yes I still have the maf sensor on. I can even drive it. Help

·
Registered
86 Posts
How come when I put a after market air filter on the car runs like crap. Yes I still have the maf sensor on. I can even drive it. Help
What do you mean "runs like crap" and where is the filter? Is it like the pictured one, or is it in the lower section of the engine compartment. What MAF housing are you using? Did it run like crap before?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am using the same maf sensor the car came with. I used the down pipe piece of the lifetime filter stuck one end into the rubber boot to the throttle body and put the maf sensor in and the filter is on the end of that tube. The car idles fine but if you try to drive it the throttle is real erratic and it dies. Car has 111000 miles and was running fine before

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am using the same maf sensor the car came with. I used the down pipe piece of the lifetime filter stuck one end into the rubber boot to the throttle body and put the maf sensor in and the filter is on the end of that tube. The car idles fine but if you try to drive it the throttle is real erratic and it dies. Car has 111000 miles and was running fine before
I'm not sure I know what the down pipe piece of the lifetime filter is, but if you're gonna use the stock MAF housing, I found that for my zx4 the best way was to modify the length of the housing and short ram it. But if you do that you need heat isolation for the filter.

If you're going to run it down under the engine, you need to make sure that you're using a good angle tube at the boot, and make sure you get the filter closer to underneath the headlight assembly. I'd recommend not having any of the lifetime filter if you're removing it. The only thing you'd still have stock is the MAF housing and the boot

If you'd like, I do have an FSWerks CAI that I could part with since my car was totalled. It's in good condition, I got it in October. Totalled the car in December. Probably around $150 plus shipping for it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Did you try resetting the computer after installing it? If not then that could cause issues with driveability. Try resetting the computer by unhooking the negative battery cable for a few minutes and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, just wondering if anyone has managed to figure out how to get that code to go away completely? I have a 05 Ford Focus ZX3 SE with 170k miles on it and want to replace the air filter.

Thanks for posting this!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought a new part from a small local parts business , it was under $20.

The factory screws didn’t really work well so I ended up McGiver’ing it with some I had in the workshop.
I made this quote because you may know the answer to this question too.
What is wrong with the screws that you take out of your original MAF? Are they too long, short narrow or wide? Would it be better if you took the screws from the MAF you took off a salvage vehicle?

·
Registered
606 Posts
What is wrong with the screws that you take out of your original MAF? Are they too long, short narrow or wide? Would it be better if you took the screws from the MAF you took off a salvage vehicle?
Different screw threads from the ones used on the MAF housing on 2005-07 cars to the ones used on the 2012+ vehicles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just picked up 2 mass air flow sensor tubes for $5 a piece with the screws. I also picked up two of the air filters that were in the cars for $4 a piece. If it all works out really well I'll go ahead and buy a new air filters. But for $9 a car for mine and my son's car's both I think it's a worthwhile experiment. I will post my results in about a week I want to drive it for a little while before I post what I think.

EDIT: So a few things, the screws that came off my car are a fine thread and the screws that came from the salvage vehicle are a coarse thread and completely different. The other is I can't tell any difference? And should there be a clamp to hold the air filter on or is it just a pressure fit?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I took off the stock filter and replaced it with this washable blue filter from eBay the is smaller and fits so much better in my car.
It was only $12.98 with free shipping.
You can search eBay for "2.75" Inlet Short Ram Cold Air Intake Dry Filter Round Universal BLUE" or try this link, but links don't last forever which is why I included my search terms for you to use if needed:
2.75" Cold Air Intake Filter Round BLUE

The stock filter is 8 1/4" long by 6 1/4" wide
VS
the new filter which is 6 1/4" wide at the base and 4 3/4" wide at the top of the cone and 5 1/4" tall with the mouth opening at the needed 2 3/4"(70mm)

This filter fits in effortlessly and adds a much nicer look I believe.
It can also be bought in other colors including 2 blues, black, red & 2 greens from what I found.
It feels solid and made from good quality materials, I feel comfortable recommending it to friends.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I've been looking at this and the reports of the Lean Condition engine code. After looking at the diagrams for the Air Filter box, and helping my friends work on vintage motorcycles, would it be possible that the error codes are being caused by there being too little restriction on the intake? The factory 12+ filter is inside a box with a opening much smaller than the total surface area of the filter. Would it be possible to restrict the filter so that air is still flowing through it, but is forced to go through a small opening before going into the filter to help mitigate the lean code? (i'm thinking something simple like a large piece of PVC pipe that slides over the majority of the filter with holes cut or drilled into the PVC, or something like the above posters did using a smaller aftermarket filter?)
With vintage motorcycles, you can wrap a pod filter with electrical tape to help fix an issue with too much air, and this lean code to me seems very similar.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts