Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your first thought in this scenario:

You are on a one way street with a slow semi in front of you. You have 15 minutes to get to fedex before they close but it is 20 minutes in regular driving time. The first instinct is to pass in the right turn lane once the light turns green.

So, with my 2003 ford svtf I switch off my Traction Control and spin the wheels to get in front of him to cut him off so I can be a free bird. Unfortunately, you can't do that without consequences.

10 seconds after the pass I feel a harsh vibration as if I'm sitting on one of the best massaging chairs in the U.S. I pull off to the side to see if it was a tire issue. All the tires seem fine. So I look under the car and see grease dripping down from my passenger side ball joint boot. I pop the hood to see if anythin else is damaged. Just as I lift the hood, it seems that there is more room under the hood than I last remembered. The engine dropped right off the passenger side engine mount. The only thing holding it up is the 6-speed getrag and the driver side mounts. The engine is laying so far down that the tow truck couldn't get his towing unit underneath the body. They had to bring a flatbed.

Luckily, the car is still under the factory warranty. I'm just curious to find out what they are going to tell me on Monday when they see all the damage done. If you think about it, the engine, the trans, mounts, mounting hardware for the drive train, the ball joint, and maybe even the chassis could all have fell victim to this sad sad incident. Hopefully I'll get my car back, and if not, I'm going to try to get a brand new car out of the deal. Maybe a new Focus ST. Slower car but it would be 2 Years newer. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Try not to take this too hard, but it sounds like Karma caught up with you. My "first instinct" would never be to break traffic laws and drive like a jerk to get around other people because I was late to drop off a package.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
So I take it you never got to UPS that day?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Karma.

Here's an excerpt from an article in the paper last week about an experienced truck driver, accident-free for 22 years, and what he looks out for on the road:

--------
"So what does Gray look out for on the Road? Everything. The guy talking on the phone? Stay away. People in Rental Trucks? Another kind of driver to avoid because of their inexperience in driving heavy vehicles. Cars with trailer hitches? Watch for a billowing tarp, a sign that gear may not be properly loaded.

And the scariest sight on the road?

Young drivers. Not all of them, mind you, but enough to make a trucker take a second look.

'They think they're bulletproof and ten feet tall' he says. 'Thely'll cut you off and pass you on the shoulder.'"
------

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess this is a result of me being a prick.......ahh well, at least Ford will eat the costs.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I guess this is a result of me being a prick"

Yes.

Consider the hassle of getting the car fixed to be a message from the universe to alter your future behavior.

Listen when fate and karma call.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I didn't make it....2 1/2 miles away from it as I saw the minutes ticking by. If it wouldn't have happened then, then I'm sure it would have happened at a worse time very soon after. Perhaps on my way to Florida when I'm scheduled to go in early august.

To those that frown upon what I did, I posted not for criticism but simply for you guys to get a kick out of it and for information on what Ford will do when they see the mess their faulty motor mount caused.

Thanks for looking. I'll let you guys know what will happen on Monday.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as the double posting is concerned, I know that a lot of you SVT owners will only look at the SVT Forum listings so I thought I'd post in the general tech forum as well as the SVT forum.

The more people laughing at the situation, the better. [;)]

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
SVT4ME said:
Try not to take this too hard, but it sounds like Karma caught up with you. My "first instinct" would never be to break traffic laws and drive like a jerk to get around other people because I was late to drop off a package.
So, you've NEVER broken ANY traffic law......... not even speeding? Granted what he did wasn't the *best* choice, but eventually EVERYONE does something thats not quite *legal*[thumb]

·
Registered
373 Posts
2 and a half miles. hmm, i can run that in 15 minutes but probably not with a package and in street clothes.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
just make sure you reflash your comp back to stock, remove engine mods, etc... they may try to say the car was being abused and deny the warranty

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:
So, you've NEVER broken ANY traffic law......... not even speeding? Granted what he did wasn't the *best* choice, but eventually EVERYONE does something thats not quite *legal*[thumb]
I'm not perfect, no; and I do often drive about 5-10 mph above the speed limit in areas where I know damn well it's perfectly safe to do so. But I don't pull boneheaded stunts like using a dedicated right turn lane to floor it and get past a truck because I manage my time so poorly that a few minutes is going to make all the difference in the world. I used to be a driving instructor, I saw a lot of morons out on the road who did the same stuff - crossing three or four lanes at once to hit an exit, weaving in and out of traffic trying to maintain 90 mph when there is heavy traffic and it's all flowing at about 60 mph, using turn lanes to go straight, driving on the shoulder, driving on the sidewalk, cutting across gas stations to avoid waiting at a red light, and so on. The only thing it ultimately accomplishes is to present an unnecessary risk to the driver and the people around the driver.

If you're going to drive like a ******** be prepared for the consequences. I would call his little story life humbling someone who thought he was more important than all the other people on the road, and frankly I take a little smug satisfaction in knowing that he got what was coming to him.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Blurvfocus said:
Wasn't there just a thread on here where somebody's engine dropped down on the passenger side? A bolt had stripped out and another one broke.
yeah, that was a guy with a mazda that broke his car dumping the clutch at high rpms, drag racing I think... if i remember right, his warranty was voided and he had to shell out for a new transmission, axles, mounts etc... less than 4k on the car or something like that

·
Registered
168 Posts
jtrick said:
Unfortunately I didn't make it....2 1/2 miles away from it as I saw the minutes ticking by. If it wouldn't have happened then, then I'm sure it would have happened at a worse time very soon after. Perhaps on my way to Florida when I'm scheduled to go in early august.

To those that frown upon what I did, I posted not for criticism but simply for you guys to get a kick out of it and for information on what Ford will do when they see the mess their faulty motor mount caused.

Thanks for looking. I'll let you guys know what will happen on Monday.
Sorry to hear about the problem you have ran into. I was just wondering if your in the Military by chance? If so what branch & where you headed to? Hope you get your car fixed, if not the ST is not that bad of a car. The 0-60 is only .2 slower then your SVT.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The mazda guy had 800 miles on his car, not that it's much different than 4000, and Mazda said "No, it's not warranty".

Boy I hope your dealer is understanding, our focus' (well I'm most familiar with my SVT) seem to be pretty rugged & take the punishment well but busting a motor mount, gaah, that's bad.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah.....I'm crossing my fingers hoping for the best. Thanks for the prayers. Hopefully I won't end up having to shell out the money like the guy with the mazda.

As far as the way I drive, breaking traffic laws aren't a normality for me. It's also not a matter of managing my time since I got off work at 8:20pm since I am in charge of a Radioshack Store and the fedex just happened to be 50 minutes away. I appreciate your concern of the way I drive and if it makes you any happoier, the incident might have happened due to bad karma, just to teach me a lesson. Unfortunately, the incident it self as showed me what I did wrong. Not you or anyone else. Thanks anyways though.

As for you out there that agree with me on that topic, thank you for helping me out in that respect. This forum is something that I look at for advice and for laughs and technical knowledge......not criticism.

As for my car......I'm hoping for a miracle. I'd hate to be the technician that see's the damage when he first pops my hood. I'm afraid to call them tomorrow to find out what they think of it. I can't take off my mods because it is in a tow yard that is closed today. I thought about it some more and figured the mods shouldn't be a problem.

I talked to a tech about mods voiding warranties. He said that they do not void warranties unless the mod directly relates to the problem. He also said that techs get paid more to do warranty work than daily out of warranty fixes.

The only mods that directly relate to the mounts is my after market VF Engineering rear motor mount which is one of the key items still holding the weight of the engine. Now had I had that front mount be after market, then i would be S.O.L.

But who knows, I'll find out tomorrow morning and I'll let you guys know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
chucksu said:
Sorry to hear about the problem you have ran into. I was just wondering if your in the Military by chance? If so what branch & where you headed to? Hope you get your car fixed, if not the ST is not that bad of a car. The 0-60 is only .2 slower then your SVT.
No, I'm not in the military, I was just planning to go down to Florida to visit some family for a week and get some relaxation.

Great to see that you have the MBRP exhaust done, sounds really good. I have it on my svt. Just in case, do you know if the exhaust is the same on the ST as it is on my SVT?? At least I might be able to salvage some of my mods in the worst case scenario. :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes & no I would think. Yes its the same exhaust (in basics of what parts are used) no as in I dont think it would. I think its only Hatch-Hatch, Sedan-Sedan & Wagon-Wagon because of the length of the car. I could be off on that, but I did need to tell MBRP that my car was a sedan when I placed the order.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts