Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone actually do this or is it a big waste of time and money?

·
Registered
744 Posts
30,000 Miles used to be one of the "big services", time for coolant change, spark plug change, brake line flush (well on european cars) tire rotation, belt & hose swap and so on. I'm pretty sure that all this stuff happens at 60,000, or later, with the serpentine belts and advanced coolants, better ignitions & plugs.

Still, it never hurts to have a trained eye look over your car for things that might leave you stranded or cost you money.

·
Registered
582 Posts
i just got my oil changed with a quick checkover at 15k. the nice service lady, with a great @$$ told me the first big check up is at 30k. all the things you listed above and i think she said something about the fuel filter. i think i'm gonna change to royal purple tranny fluid, throw in msd wires (and maybe a coil), and go to the copper motorcraft plugs... and redline blinker fluid... heh heh....

·
Registered
420 Posts
svtfiend said:
... the nice service lady, with a great @$$ ...
Please post the name and location of your dealer service department so others in the community may - uhm, evaluate .. the service lad.. ehrm, process... yeah, service process, that's it, that's the ticket...
svtfiend said:
... and redline blinker fluid... heh heh....
Don't forget to get some redline tire air as well, gives an extra .5 g's cornering ability on the skidpad.

Right, with that said.. Perform all the maintenance the owners manual tells you plus the stuff that makes sense.

Beware things like "Decarbon throttle body and torque" on photocopies advertising "recommended service maintenance". (I swear, Gary Lang Auto in McHenry, Illinois listed that as a Subaru maintenance item the last time I looked, I laughed so hard people were staring at me like the Subaru-owning lunatic that I am).

If there is maintenance to be done, and you can't do it yourself, find a dealer or mechanic who can/will do it per factory spec, and be prepared to pay a fair price for it.

I'm not trying to be harsh, my point is that if you don't educate yourself a little bit, someone will take advantage of you, especially in the automotive service field. I left a shop I worked at when I was 19 for a much less desirable one (long commute) just because the owners looked for "marks" they could take advantage of.

Caveat emptor!

·
Registered
356 Posts
hehe I went in with my WRX for the 36,000 mile service when I had that car... not only did it cost alot for very little service... but they put the thermostat in backwards and caused the car to overheat on a trip 2 days later...

Subaru dealerships... dealerships in general suck. really I just hold back on taking a car to a dealer until its absolutely needed.. adn the 30,000 service isnt really needed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
hrm...i've been wondering whether or not to do the 30k mile service or not. i'm coming up on 28k miles, and i was wondering if it was well worth it to do it now, or wait till i hit 50k to do an actual service? is it really worth the hasle?

·
Registered
582 Posts
let me tell ya machewcoy, if you were within driving distance of Koeneke Ford in Reedsburg, Wi. it would be worth every bit of hassle..... **SCHWING!** now, clegg on the other hand, could drive about 45 minutes to check out the, uh...... service at said dealership. modemjunki, i like your style, to bad your from illinois, thats quite a drive to check out the hot service manager... i get to go back today so they can replace my front strut brace. yay!!! i've never been so excited to have my car worked on! plus my buddy works there, so its cool to see him too i guess.

·
Registered
238 Posts
lol; hrm...so, seeing it as how i'm not exactly "close" to wisconsin, it wouldnt be worth it to have it done, would it?

·
Registered
582 Posts
where did we lose you at dude? we've been talking about the service chicks @$$ the whole time! its okay man.

·
Registered
238 Posts
oOo snap! hahahaha, how could i have been soo naive?! pics of "nice service ladies with a nice *oops!*" would be nice! hahaha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts