Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to change the exhaust someday in the new year, i want a borla setup, and i was thinking of 2 resonators and 1 muffler, so i would have 2 15" 4" round 3" inlet/outlet borla + 1 4"x9.5"x 14" 3" inlet/outlet

or since the borla resonators are so expensive i thought of buying 2 4" round magnaflow resonators, i would save almost 100 bucks

The question is, how bad would this affect the sound in the car, what should i get?

I'm also confused with cayses exhaust, does he have a 30 or 36" resonator?, i want it to be as loud as the svt, maybe a little bit more just like a 2.5" borla catback, i would be doing a 3" orp too and 3" flex, everything custom made

What i want is maybe the cool sound of an orp with a borla system on a svt, but i would be using running 3"

any suggestions?

PS the part numbers i have are

First option
2 x Borla 40085
1 x Borla 40359
total: 351

Second option
2 x magnaflow 14419
1 borla 40359
total: 258

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Ok you lost me, why are you purchasing 2 Resonators?

Just get an ORP, a Resonator, and Muffler. All 3" and it will sound just like you want.

2 Resonators is just pointless

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont want raspyness, and have you heard cayses car?, i want it a bit louder, and i think that since he runs a hfc and i would be running a orp it will already be louder, or are you sure one of the listed resonators is enough?

im kinda confused with that, maybe one that is longer but not that much to be equivalent to the 2 resonators?

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah, and what muffler do you vote for, the magnaflow or the borlA?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
With the magnaflow your car sounds so sick!

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
With the magnaflow your car sounds so sick!
thats how it is now with the magnaflow. I made my own 3" exhaust and at the time didn't know which muffler I wanted. So I decided to do 3" striaght exhaust to see what it sounds like.

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, do anyone knows how long is the resonator in the 2.5 catback?

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Let me clarify something first... the resonator on the SVT is nothing more than a circular muffler. The term is interchangeable when talking about Borla or Magnaflow parts, but to be correct, they are all just universal mufflers.

As for my system, the confusion in length of the first muffler is because of the measurements on Magnaflow's website. The muffler section is 30" long, but Magnaflow calls it a 36" muffler because there is 3" of piping on either end.

focusguy87, there is no "design" that says you can't use two mufflers in the straight tunnel section after the flexpipe. Two 15" mufflers is the same as one 30" muffler. As long as it's supported, there's no problem.

No matter what you go with, it's going to be slightly louder than my setup, which is louder than stock. The offroad pipe in place of the cat will already increase volume as it is, and even if you use two 4" mufflers in the straight tunnel, mine is using a 6" muffler (more dampening material = quieter exhaust).

If you have the money to spend, I'd go with three Borlas if you can't find a single 30" muffler with a 4" body. If you're planning to go turbo, I think you'd be happy with just one 15" or whatever muffler.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I have the magnaflow with a resonator setup on my SVT and sounds similar to focusguy. I think its a great sound very deep for a four banger!

Now I was told by 03OrangeSVT that the borla muffler goes down to a 2.5" on the inside, if that is the case there is no point in a 3" exhaust if the muffler restricts it down to 2.5"

·
WWTPD?
1,735 Posts
Yes it necks down to 2.5" so if you're running a turbo there are better options.

However if you are NOT running a turbo, the 2.5" reduction at the borla inlet/outlet will have neglible effects on flow. An NA 4 cylinder motor simply will not more enough exhaust for this restriction to make any difference.

And a 2.5" restriction at the muffler inlet does NOT equat to running a 2.5" exhaust. Its a very small flow restriction that actually attenuates the exhaust note a bit and is part of the reason the borla has that distinctive tone.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
...Now I was told by 03OrangeSVT that the borla muffler goes down to a 2.5" on the inside, if that is the case there is no point in a 3" exhaust if the muffler restricts it down to 2.5"
Yes it necks down to 2.5" so if you're running a turbo there are better options...
This is ONLY on the Trubendz 3" Borla systems! You can buy 3" ID Borla mufflers on their own that do not crimp down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts