Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Focus fanatics, I was looking for some general advice on this one.

2009 SE Focus 2 Door, about 25K Miles
I bought it CPO at about 12K miles and have put in aftermarket wheels.
Originally came with factory 16's, and replaced them with 17's

My tires read: 215/45ZR17

I'm about 150lbs. If i have someone about 200lbs, and another about 250lbs (3 people total in the car) around sharp corners, or higher speeds and freeway bumps, the tires rub against the wheel wells. It's very noisy, and doesn't sound healthy. If I add a 4th person to the car, It's pretty much anything outside of a straight line the wheels rub, I can only imagine having a 5th...

When i open the trunk, and push down on the car up and down It's quite creaky. Think of the sound that wet rubber shoes make against tile, as the car is bouncing up and down. I don't know if the two issues are connected or not.

My ford dealership insists that they put original 16's on and test it out, as there is about half an inch in size difference between the 17's I have and the original 16's. I'm convinced if all 5 seat belts are occupied with average sized adults, issue will occur with the 16's as well.

My question is, given the size of my 17 wheels and tire, is it normal for the tires to hit under average weight load?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. [8D]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd be glad to look at it for you.

Unless its lowered you shouldn't be rubbing. Either way its probally rubbing on the fenders, a simple roll of them will make it stop.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
The offset is probably too little pushing the edge of the tire/wheel out further. Do you know what the offset is for those wheels? I have been running the same size tire on a 7" wheel for 3 years now with no rubbing, and I have heavier friends than you do. IIRC, my offset is 42mm.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup - I'm running the same size as well, with no issues....

BUT they are on STOCK SVT wheels, so the offset is correct....

That size is a factory fitment for the SVT, and it works fine on sedans, but "offset" ( how far the wheel sticks out) is critical.

Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts