Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a while.....about six weeks. But finally I got everything together. It's just sitting there right now, checking the fit, which is great. The pod is from Massive for my '06......the gauges from O'Riley.

I may use some other gauges later on, but I'll have to look at these for a while to make up my mind. As far as the A/F gauge is concerned....if you know what you're looking at, the LEDs are plenty to tell if/how the O2 sensors are doing. The boost gauge.....using it as a vacuum gauge.

Anyway....the pod goes over the stock pillar cover, but isn't quite as long as stock. I'll probably paint the RS pillar cover black to the same length as this pillar pod. The Equus gauges have a plastic ring that holds the gauge tight to the pod....but they don't tighten down all the way with this pod. The pod is a tight fit. But it still holds tight. I'll put up some night shots when the wiring is hooked up.

So far so good....

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
is that a wideband or narrowband?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's narrow.....measures #1 and #2 O2 sensors independently. One LED = .1V.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Looks awesome man. I was thinking about doing a dual pod with either oil pressure and a/f or volts and a/f.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was worried about the looks also.....but after seeing it in the car, I'm pleased. The colors blend in well. My instrument cluster is stock with a black face, but these white-face gauges don't clash at all. The lighting for the gauges can be changed through four different colors using little covers over the bulbs....but I like the white look.

I'm wondering how to attach this pod. It comes with screws to attach to the existing pod. I'm not sure I want to do that. You certainly want to attach it securely enough so it couldn't be easily ripped out....but I also worry about maintenance, changing stuff around, etc.

And the wiring is another problem.....there's very little room there to sneak any wires to the gauges. More fun.......

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 2/3 done now. I've got the gauge lights hooked up, the volt-meter, and the boost/vacuum gauge. Using the green covers for the light bulbs, the gauge lighting is a good match to the Ford cluster lighting.

Couple of things here.....these things are a major distraction to driving. I imagine I'll get used to them quickly, and won't be watching them so much. That vacuum gauge is really nice....you can literally see your MPG drop when you hit the gas.

I think the upper gauge is a little too close to your eyes. In an accident that didn't set off the air-bag, you might hit it. I think a two-pod setup would be safer...just speculation. Over-all I like the setup. I'll like it better when the center gauge is hooked up.

If anybody is interested, I took a few photos of the wire/vacuum line routing. Didn't have to cut any holes.....

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the A/F gauge working. I'm now monitoring O2 sensors #2 and #3. I tried O2 sensor #1, but found the voltage cycled too quickly to be readable. The sensors seen to be working normal. Here it is when you first turn on the ignition when cold...

It takes a minute or so for the sensors to warm up enough to give readings. Here it is on the highway cruising along....about 43F outside. It's sort of hard to get photos with the lights as you want. Normally there are two greens and one yellow lighted at cruising speeds.

The gauge readings are not always the same on both banks.... The third O2 sensor is more stable, not surprising since this is the after-cat sensor. When you decelerate, the readings go red (lean), with #2 O2 reacting more quickly.

It'll take me a while to establish a normal pattern of operation....and it should read slightly different in warmer weather. But right now I'd say the system is operating as it should. This gauge is a little too bright at night....IMO. I might dim the LEDs down a little.....daytime is ok, very readable.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Here is my triple pod.

Also need a place for a 4th gauge. So I did this.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
mave i like that 4th gauge pod, i've seen both you and honhon do it. question, did you like specially cut the hole or anything to make it sit flush? because that edge is just kind of curved, but it looks like its sitting in a recessed area like the button for the trunk unless its just the light. im thinking of doing this.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
It doesn't fit flush. I would need to trim a bit for it to do that. Other than that yeah I just made a hole with my dremel.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem for that fourth gauge location for me.....I'm tall enough that the steering wheel totally blocks my view of that spot.

I made a new spot for a gauge last summer.....this one is totally stealth.

Eventually I'm going to put an oil pressure gauge in the three-pod setup, and move that volt-gauge down to the stealth thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a simple gauge in mine but had it two diff places,,im not sure where i prefered it best tho tbh
theres a few and of in between finished if u get me...

at night

and where it is now

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Well I do plan on getting rid of my volt meter and putting and EGT (exhaust gas temp) in.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^Nope. My gauge pod came from Massive, but mine is an '06.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update to an old thread......I finally got to do a long trip at night, and sure enough, the A/F gauge lights got to be irritating because they're too bright.

Here's my fix......a 49mm 4X ND screw-on photo-filter. I just attached it with four bits of silicone adhesive. It's an almost perfect fit. You can still see the lights perfectly in the day-time. Haven't tried it at night yet......but the light output is now four times less. Should work. First shot the car is not running....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts