Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! [wave] i was wondering if any of you guys know what the highest number of amps its possible to run on a stock 02 LX (no power windows or locks) without frying my alternator. i plan on doing the big 3 as soon as i have time. i have the HU, speakers, and subs already, but the amps are troublesome. my options are either 2 Kicker ZX400.1, or 1 Hifonics BRZ2100.1D. I plan on running 2 10" CVR's. the 4CH amp is a kicker dx200.4. is it possible to run 3 amps off the 110 AMP stock alt safely, or am i screwed into buying a HO alt?

[loveff]

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I would get a HO alt..cause I think you will fry multiple alts...

pm Bigbody.. he has done a huge system

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
You can just get one sub amp for the cvr's and run the 4 channel. Add a battery and that will get you by for now. An alternator in the near future should stay on your mind. But I agree with fhh02a.....Bigbody is a good dude for advice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the number of amplifiers does not matter, but the number of "amps" as in how much current your drawing is what matters. one big amp can draw more current then 30 small amps. if you go with the kicker amps you will be fine with the stock alt, as you'll only have about 800 watts total power. with the hifonics amp you will be around 2000 watts, which is a bit much for the stock alt. you may be ok with the stock alt ONLY if you add a second battery in the back to help support the amp.

on a side note though, that hifonics amp is WAY too much power for a pair of cvr's. I would go with no more then a 1000 watt amp for them.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
^^^ This is true it does boil down to total amperage draw.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can just get one sub amp for the cvr's and run the 4 channel. Add a battery and that will get you by for now. An alternator in the near future should stay on your mind. But I agree with fhh02a.....Bigbody is a good dude for advice.
well im going to take it to ARE here in vegas to see if they can gut my stock alt and make it into a HO alt.

on a side note though, that hifonics amp is WAY too much power for a pair of cvr's. I would go with no more then a 1000 watt amp for them.

i wanted to wire the cvrs down to a 4 ohm load. and the hifonics pushes around 700 @ 4ohms which would be just under the 800 rms for both. if i were to run both of the kicker zx's, would i also be able to run the 4 channel amp for the components up front and rear 2-ways?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I have 2 amps. But, I run a 200 amp alt.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
the cheapest I've found is 214 shipped from DB Electric. DC & PowerBastards want too damn much.
DB will honor their warranty if need be. They have pretty good customer service as well.

You used to be able to find BOSCH 200 amp alts in the $240.-280.00 range.
But, no more.

What is your budget?

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
I had my alt rebuilt to estimated 190amp(never properly tested). but it wasn't replaced. Literally took factory to guy and guy rebuilt and guy gave back. Guy was my boss at the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i wanted to wire the cvrs down to a 4 ohm load. and the hifonics pushes around 700 @ 4ohms which would be just under the 800 rms for both. if i were to run both of the kicker zx's, would i also be able to run the 4 channel amp for the components up front and rear 2-ways?
I see, that would be kind of a waste of money to buy a big amp like that and only run it at 4 ohm, unless you plan on getting better subs down the road.

if you went with the 2 kicker amps, yes you would still be able to run your 4ch amp no problem.

for the amount of power you are going to run I really don't think you need to replace or rebuild your alt. I would instead recommend spending your money on a good battery for under the hood, doing the "big 3", and if needed you can add a small car audio specific battery (such as kinetik, xs power, stinger, battcap, etc) in the back the same way you would install a capacitor.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
I see, that would be kind of a waste of money to buy a big amp like that and only run it at 4 ohm, unless you plan on getting better subs down the road.

if you went with the 2 kicker amps, yes you would still be able to run your 4ch amp no problem.

for the amount of power you are going to run I really don't think you need to replace or rebuild your alt. I would instead recommend spending your money on a good battery for under the hood, doing the "big 3", and if needed you can add a small car audio specific battery (such as kinetik, xs power, stinger, battcap, etc) in the back the same way you would install a capacitor.

That's what I started off with and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

yeah i plan on getting some AQ HDC310's or some FI BL10's after these kickers stop kickin. but then im going to have to swap out the amp(s) regardless if I upgrade.
Big 3 is imminent, and adding an extra battery and cap a bit after that is a must.

for now though it looks like the 2 zx amps and 1 dx are winning.

·
Registered
220 Posts
running your setup at 4ohms puts quite a load on the alternator, even though that's less wattage, that's a lot of impedance for a 110 alternator.

i got by with 5500 watts RMS @ 1 ohm before i needed to replace the control arm bushings in the back (lasted literally a month) but i was using kinetik's biggest battery.

you should be fine with a kinetik 600

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
running your setup at 4ohms puts quite a load on the alternator, even though that's less wattage, that's a lot of impedance for a 110 alternator.

i got by with 5500 watts RMS @ 1 ohm before i needed to replace the control arm bushings in the back (lasted literally a month) but i was using kinetik's biggest battery.

so would there be any difference running it at 4ohms versus 1 ohm? i thought 4ohm was less strain on the electrical system overall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah i plan on getting some AQ HDC310's or some FI BL10's after these kickers stop kickin. but then im going to have to swap out the amp(s) regardless if I upgrade.
Big 3 is imminent, and adding an extra battery and cap a bit after that is a must.

for now though it looks like the 2 zx amps and 1 dx are winning.
Excellent choice for future subs, I run audioque amps currently, used to run they're subs as well (4 sdc2.5 15's) and Fi is top notch product as well. Sounds like you've got a good plan going man.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Not sure where you got that info from but it's actually backwards, the impedance you run your amp at does effect the strain on your alt, but the strain is higher with lower impedance not higher. The lower you run the amp the more power it produces and the less efficient it operates thus drawing more current the lower you run it.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^ That's a good price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks db, i was originally going to get some SA-10's as my first subs but i got both the cvr's for less than the price of one brand new directly through stillwater.

would running the same brand amp affect the SQ at all? the StN ratio on the kicker amp is about 95 dB, while on the MTX RFL-300D its at around 75 dB. would it be a huge audible difference?

BTW you guys know any amps that push 600-900w RMS @ 4 ohms that would run less than 300? preferably cea cert.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts