Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have DDM 55w HIDs in my ebay projectors. They're kind of peeling across the front of the lenses and I think it's due to the heat of the 55ws. Anyone have any kind of remedy??

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
What do you mean peeling? Is it melting?
I only got 35ws in my housings and mine are the stock housings. But in my BMW I got the DDM 55ws and they are ok

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This has been mentioned in another thread at some point. The Eagle Eyes projectors have some sort of film over the outer lens, which appears to peel/flake off with time. Back when I was using my 35w kit I started to notice the peeling as well (I haven't even had the headlights on the car for a year). At first I thought it was from when I waxed the headlights, but then I realized it was peeling even in areas that I didn't wax.

Is it a sign that something bad will happen? Not sure...but it sounds like a good reason to put some lens sealant on there!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Phokus, if I remember this weekend I can show you the peeling/flaking on my set of projectors.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not melting, more like just an outer coating on the plastic is flaking. I'll try and get some pics in daylight tomorrow. The light shines through without any warp and the lenses aren't misshapen. Just an odd flaking lol

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
There is a very VERY fine clear film over the headlight, they come off with time, sunlight, heat, moisture, Cthulhu, and other normal things you run into on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
There is a very VERY fine clear film over the headlight, they come off with time, sunlight, heat, moisture, Cthulhu, and other normal things you run into on a daily basis.
Cthulhu: the most dangerous of all the elements.

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
is it on the outside of the lense or inside? if the outside then maybe you could help speed the process up to a finish and use some sort of cleaner or wetsand it off to a clear finish. the other option might be to pull the lense off and replace with one from a factory headlight (junkyard or car parting out maybe).

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
I'll remember to take a peek

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
the other option might be to pull the lense off and replace with one from a factory headlight (junkyard or car parting out maybe).

If so with this option, i have TWO lens from my retrofit. You will need to wetsand it cause of small scuff marks but it will work with the EE projectors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts