Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed ever since I've bought my Focus that it tends to have a slight surge in 2nd gear. Everything is fine as I let out the clutch and pick up the gas in 2nd, but soon after it has a slight surge. It is only in 2nd gear (that I notice). I've mentioned the problem to the dealership, but they constantly tell me "It's normal, it's a Focus." [confused]

So is this normal or a problem of concern? Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The surge occurs when I'm driving in second gear. It's normally around 3-4k.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I get the same thing except in lower rpm's then yours. But as far as i know (and read throughout this forum) It is normal ;) It's just one of those little quirks with the car

·
Registered
864 Posts
surge like battery power surge, or like HP surge. It could just be when you are hiting the power band

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's like a loss of horsepower. The RPMs will drop for a second and pop back up. It's almost like I let off the gas pedal for a second then stepped on it. It's only in 2nd gear. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a problem.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
UnderEstimated said:
It's like a loss of horsepower. The RPMs will drop for a second and pop back up. It's almost like I let off the gas pedal for a second then stepped on it. It's only in 2nd gear. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a problem.
if it feels like a loss of power, then it is prolly you EGR valve. I think that is the conclusion all of us owners have come to with the surge/hesitation problem. I turned my EGR valve off with a tune, and it stopped, so that is my conclusion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh thats what you meant, I noticed that too. Mines between 2.5k and 3.5k. Goto focussport and look at some dynos on the zetec. Its it there even with tuning, a new head, and cams, so I guess it just how the engine works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts