Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2.5" Trubendz SS exhaust installed today, and after the shop was done I figure I'd stop by the recycling place and see what extra change I could get out of the 2nd CAT. They told me that it wasn't a cat, but was more less a resonator. Anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Isn't the standard setup on most cars these days only one cat and a resonator to help quieten the factory exhaust? I know the last two cars i have owned were set up this same way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't the standard setup on most cars these days only one cat and a resonator to help quieten the factory exhaust? I know the last two cars i have owned were set up this same way.
I always thought the "lunch box" toward the end of the stock exhaust would be the resonator?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I always thought the "lunch box" toward the end of the stock exhaust would be the resonator?
It is. The muffler is before that and before that is the 2nd cat.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The reason the 2008-2011 have a little more horsepower is becaue they have 1 cat that is being supervised wth an oxygen sensor, with the resonator and the muffler "lunch box delete, the 2005-2007 have 2 cats and one isn't being monitored, it has a resanator and the muffler, that's what I read in. Thread about 2 months ago. Some one correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just saw you had a 2009. It might be a resonator. I was giving a description for the 05-07.

·
Registered
320 Posts
the first thing in the exhaust is the cat. the second bout halfway down is the res the final piece is the muffler for us foci its the lunchbox muffler. the muffler is always the last piece in the exhaust assembly. so to answer the question the "2nd cat" would be your res. the big cylindrical thing.

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
^^that depends on model...the 05-07 ST and the Saleen Foci had two cats. The primary in the manifold and the second one in the place where a resonator would go. The easy way to tell look inside of it with a flash light if it has honeycomb in it its a cat.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
To answer your question about what a cats worth, I got over $100 for the stock off my SVT, But prices start around $30 and can go over $200 for the right cat from the right guy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can actually see straight thru it....so im guess it is a resonator

·
Registered
320 Posts
you have a 2009 so odds are its the res i have a 2006 and i know mine was a res. becuz looking through it looks more like a muffler then a cat. so odds are its the res. you ahve the same car as i do too except yours is a coupe im a sedan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts