Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to address/explain 3 glitches I have experiened so far with the 2012 focus. I have owned the car for about two months, and besides these glitches I have experiened thus far, I have loved it.

1. Cruise control: 3 or 4 times since I have purchased the car, I have noticed that after starting the car, I cannot engage Cruise Control. The only solution I have found was to turn the car off at a red light, remove and open/close the door to cut the power off to sync, and then turn the car back on.

2. Windshield washer fluid: Just experienced this today. I started up the car and turned the A/C on. I then pulled the wiper level to me and the windshield wipers moved but no fluid sprayed out. After stopping at the mall, I checked the fluid and there was fluid in the container. I started the car up, began to drive, and tried it once more and it now shot fluid onto the windshied.

3. I have also experienced this a few times as it tends to happen when I put the blinker on for a split-second or so and then disengage the blinker. When I return it to the neutral position the opposite blinker starts to blink. For example, if I put the right turn blinker on to change lanes and turn it off, the left blinker starts blinking. Only fix I found is to put the opposite blinker back on and then turn it off.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? I should also mention that I have Ford Sync but not the My Touch version. Who should I report these glitches to? I love the car as I'm getting like 39.5 mpg average per tank, but the third issue should definitely be addressed. Has anyone else had any of these issues? As mentioned, all have happened only a couple times (blinker issue has happened about 5 times).

Thanks

·
Registered
788 Posts
3. I have also experienced this a few times as it tends to happen when I put the blinker on for a split-second or so and then disengage the blinker. When I return it to the neutral position the opposite blinker starts to blink. For example, if I put the right turn blinker on to change lanes and turn it off, the left blinker starts blinking. Only fix I found is to put the opposite blinker back on and then turn it off.
I have not experienced the first two issues. I'm wondering if when you return it to the neutral position are you moving it with your finger or letting it return on its own? If you are hitting with your finger, when it blinks on the opposite side, is it blinking three times, more than three or less. My thought is you may be moving it slightly beyond neutral and activating the three blink feature. Just a thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not experienced the first two issues. I'm wondering if when you return it to the neutral position are you moving it with your finger or letting it return on its own? If you are hitting with your finger, when it blinks on the opposite side, is it blinking three times, more than three or less. My thought is you may be moving it slightly beyond neutral and activating the three blink feature. Just a thought.
I'm returning it to the neutral position. It's blinking more than three times. It keeps blinking until I re-engage/dis-engage the opposite blinker. I should also note it's blinking regularly (not fast as if a bulb is out). All times I have experienced this is when I put on my blinker to change lanes. I have not experienced this when the position of the lever is returned to neutral on it's own (i.e. right/left turn, U-turn).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm returning it to the neutral position. It's blinking more than three times. It keeps blinking until I re-engage/dis-engage the opposite blinker. I should also note it's blinking regularly (not fast as if a bulb is out). All times I have experienced this is when I put on my blinker to change lanes. I have not experienced this when the position of the lever is returned to neutral on it's own (i.e. right/left turn, U-turn).
I think you are accidentally engaging the lane change blinker feature. Try this instead: when blinking to change lanes, push the lever in the direction you wish to turn, but don't push it so far that it clicks. It will go back to neutral on its own and the blinker will blink 3 times for the lane change. This way you need not return it to neutral.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My passenger door sensor is crap. My wife will close the door and the dash will show the door is still open but no warnings bells go off. Even after slamming the door sometimes the door indicator graphic will still show the door open.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The outside temp sometimes work ....sometimes not.... Today it was 102 here today and every now and then it would say that and sometimes it would say 70. Maybe an update for it idk. No biggie just something to point out

·
Registered
495 Posts
Could be worse. We just finished repairing a 2012 with 120 miles on it ... got towed in not starting, was informed that it had a coolant leak and it had overheated (rental car). Apparently, a small hose clamp was not properly secured onto the hose it was on, and while the renter drove the car, it leaked coolant and overheated.

When the rental car company got the car towed back to them, they found the leak, secured the clamp and topped off the coolant with water just to see if it was OK, the car ran but stalled out when warmed up.

By the time we got it, the batt was dead, starter was shot, a large fusable link underhood was blown, and oh, yeah, it needed an engine, since it blew the head gasket and was locking up once warmed up (still).

Nothing like proper assembly ...

I have another 2012 in the shop now with 1203 miles on it. The customer drove the car for about an hour, stopped and wouldn't restart a few minutes later. Like the starter crapped out, or maybe another fusable link, or who knows? Maybe another engine.

I can't wait to see it diagnosed tomorrow ...

Unbelievably, I haven't seen one 2012 Focus yet with MyFord Touch issues ... lol

·
Registered
772 Posts
My passenger door sensor is crap. My wife will close the door and the dash will show the door is still open but no warnings bells go off. Even after slamming the door sometimes the door indicator graphic will still show the door open.
Do you have the parking package, or just the rear park aid sensors that come with the Titanium premium package? I may know how this is happening, depending on what package you have.

·
Registered
233 Posts
One issue I've experienced a few times is when I start the car and my iPhone is connected and if I immediately say "call john smith" the sync will cut me off right after "call" and tell me I need to say a name. I'll try again and it will just cut me off before I can say the person's name. It works fine if I do something else like go to bluetooth audio, then call. Not a big issue but kind of annoying.

·
Registered
128 Posts

This has happened to me once about 2 weeks ago.. I had no clue what was going on but it never happened again after that. I was changing lanes on a busy road in my town.

The other 2 issues you've listed haven't happened in my 2012... not yet at least lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My favorite 2012 glitch occurs when I'm backing out of my garage into direct sunlight. The autolamps will turn on in the garage, and then I'll back out in reverse with the "Rear Park Aid Sensor" setting on the driver LCD showing.

If the green light indicator for lights by the tachometer shuts off, when I throw the car off reverse, the little car display on the 4.2" LCD will still show my lights as ON (brake lights and headlights are displayed on). However, my lights are truly off. This glitch doesn't manually correct itself unless I quickly turn on my headlights manually and then go back to auto mode.

If I do beat the green indicator to go to off reverse, the LCD car will appropriately show a turn off of the lights.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have just the rear park aid sensors. Any ideas?
Yes, I have had a Ford engineer look at this, same thing happening to mine (without parking package, with rear park aid). Reason it is only showing up with our package, is we get an overlay in the message center to turn "park aid" on or off when vehicle is in reverse. The parking package has a button on the center console to turn parking sensors off so they don't get the message in the message center.

Anyway, it is easly reproducable by this sequence. Open any of the doors, the trunk, or turn the headlights on. Put the car in reverse, activating the park aid message. Then while in reverse, close the doors or turn the headlights off. Then put the car in drive. You will notice any state of the doors or headlights that changed didn't update on the "car" icon in the dash while the park aid message was there. This was shown to the engineer, he updated all modules of my car, and it's still doing it. He has gone back to the shop and is trying to get an answer on this now.

It's a instrument cluster software issue and isn't anything wrong with the door sensors.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, I have had a Ford engineer look at this, same thing happening to mine (without parking package, with rear park aid). Reason it is only showing up with our package, is we get an overlay in the message center to turn "park aid" on or off when vehicle is in reverse. The parking package has a button on the center console to turn parking sensors off so they don't get the message in the message center.

Anyway, it is easly reproducable by this sequence. Open any of the doors, the trunk, or turn the headlights on. Put the car in reverse, activating the park aid message. Then while in reverse, close the doors or turn the headlights off. Then put the car in drive. You will notice any state of the doors or headlights that changed didn't update on the "car" icon in the dash while the park aid message was there. This was shown to the engineer, he updated all modules of my car, and it's still doing it. He has gone back to the shop and is trying to get an answer on this now.

It's a instrument cluster software issue and isn't anything wrong with the door sensors.
that's good that you have this documented...please keep us updated here! [:D]

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just wanted to address/explain 3 glitches I have experiened so far with the 2012 focus. I have owned the car for about two months, and besides these glitches I have experiened thus far, I have loved it.

1. Cruise control: 3 or 4 times since I have purchased the car, I have noticed that after starting the car, I cannot engage Cruise Control. The only solution I have found was to turn the car off at a red light, remove and open/close the door to cut the power off to sync, and then turn the car back on.

2. Windshield washer fluid: Just experienced this today. I started up the car and turned the A/C on. I then pulled the wiper level to me and the windshield wipers moved but no fluid sprayed out. After stopping at the mall, I checked the fluid and there was fluid in the container. I started the car up, began to drive, and tried it once more and it now shot fluid onto the windshied.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? I should also mention that I have Ford Sync but not the My Touch version. Who should I report these glitches to? I love the car as I'm getting like 39.5 mpg average per tank, but the third issue should definitely be addressed. Has anyone else had any of these issues? As mentioned, all have happened only a couple times (blinker issue has happened about 5 times).

Thanks
I don't know about the first two problems... but the third may be because the Focus has the "auto-blinker" thing where if you push down on the turn signal and then let off, it blinks 3 times (usually used when passing). So, maybe the spring is a little loose. I also know (at least in mine) it's a bit touchy, too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Problem # 2 sounds live the washer fluid line wasn't primed. How long had it been since you pumped washer fluid thru them?

I went camping with my girlfriend the other day and she went to get water from the well at the campsite. She came back and said it wasn't working. I asked how many times she pumped the lever and she said "six times" we went back and on the next pump the water started flowing.

Just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts