Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I can do better in price. All options besides the parking assist package: winter, sports handling, moonroof. 6/75k miles included for $2250.

Car price is $26255

·
Registered
74 Posts
How to save thousands buying a new car:

Never ever pay sticker ever. Find the cars you like online using Edmunds.com. Then start comparing the ones you like within say 100 miles of where you live. Use the dealer's websites and compare stickers and features/options. Subtract about 2.5K from the one that seems like the best deal for your needs and start there. Email the "internet sales manager" your firm terms for the car you want to purchase. Work out your financing on your own through a credit union or bank of your choice and bring a blank check in hand. Do not fall for the dealer's "extras" they push on you when you sign the contract. Inspect the car very, very carefully @ delivery. Make sure you take your time and you are completely happy before you leave the dealer the first time. Drive off the lot happy enjoying your new car you just saved a bundle on.

>>Don't be afraid to walk away!!!

I did it over a measly $700 and got the same car with more options and free tinted windows.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Think I can do better in price. All options besides the parking assist package: winter, sports handling, moonroof. 6/75k miles included for $2250.

Car price is $26255
Yes, you can do better. Look at Pentagon Federal Credit Union's site and use their car pricing tool. You should be able to beat that price by a mile. I used X-Plan, and a few other discounts to get my $29,800 MSRP Focus Ti Hatch for $25,200. Also, never buy ESP from the local dealer unless they can beat the site below. I got Ford's 100K ESP for less than a thousand bucks from them.

http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't be afraid to walk and negotiate the entire deal -- financing and trade-in are important too. The end result is more important than the price you pay for the car. In some states if you're trading in the car it's better to negotiate on the trade-in than it is on the actual car as well if the taxed amount on the car is after the trade-in value is deducted from the price of the car.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Geez it's amazing the technology they are packing into what was once considered a borderline economy car. Also how much the price can vary between a base Focus and one that is loaded with everything. I've seen bare bones base Focus' going for under $20k to loaded ones going for over $30K. So an optioned out Focus can be 50% or more over a base model. [eek]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, you can do better. Look at Pentagon Federal Credit Union's site and use their car pricing tool. You should be able to beat that price by a mile. I used X-Plan, and a few other discounts to get my $29,800 MSRP Focus Ti Hatch for $25,200. Also, never buy ESP from the local dealer unless they can beat the site below. I got Ford's 100K ESP for less than a thousand bucks from them.

http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/
I asked my local dealer and they just told me to print out the quote and they would match it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
OP didn't mention sedan or hatch - sedans are less expensive generally.

Mine was $23k even, see sig for specs

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went through the Costco buying plan. No hassle price . Sent to Costco what I wanted , they sent me to a dealer and he printed out the price for me. Best that I could find and I agreed to the deal within five minutes. Ordered the car which took six week and have been driving it for a week now and love the car. Also got an additional fifty dollar credit for future service work at the dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Geez it's amazing the technology they are packing into what was once considered a borderline economy car. Also how much the price can vary between a base Focus and one that is loaded with everything. I've seen bare bones base Focus' going for under $20k to loaded ones going for over $30K. So an optioned out Focus can be 50% or more over a base model. [eek]
Lol you think the focus is bad try getting the same options on a mazda or some of the others they get stupid expensive a whole feck of a lot quicker.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll second the Costco service. The price I was quoted was much better than what I received from negotiating with a local dealer. Costco will give you your money back if your not satisfied with your membership. So, you can sign up, use the car buying service, and if it doesn't help, get your money back. More than likely, you'll save more than $50 (could be more than $1000) and you'll find other good deals in the store or online with your membership.

If you already have a Costco membership, there's no reason not to give the car buying service a try.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'll second the Costco service. The price I was quoted was much better than what I received from negotiating with a local dealer. Costco will give you your money back if your not satisfied with your membership. So, you can sign up, use the car buying service, and if it doesn't help, get your money back. More than likely, you'll save more than $50 (could be more than $1000) and you'll find other good deals in the store or online with your membership.

If you already have a Costco membership, there's no reason not to give the car buying service a try.
I heard that the price ends up being something like $500 over dealer invoice. Not too bad if you don't want to pay MSRP and don't want to deal with negotiating.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mine is a loaded tit with everything except remote start...listed for 28.500...
i paid 25.900 out the door.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the help everyone. Got the HB for $25,999. More importantly, I saved hassle on dealing with my trade-in. I basically had a worthless trade-in, and didn't want to fuss with towing it all over the place to figure out the value or figuring out how to donate it.

Wasn't planning to have a car payment in the next 12 months, so I gota rethink a couple of things, but I am really excited about my focus.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
My SE Sport with everything the SE can get, they wanted 24,700 out the door I got it for 21,500 tax tag and title.

I payed cash for mine though but thats just one example.

Muscle them down and when you make your final offer do what I did. Hey im going over to Hyundai to check out the new Genesis. And WALK OUT. 2 minutes later Mr. Moser we're getting the paperwork ready for you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
For those curious, my Costco dealer quote came in at invoice + $200 + $0 doc. A second (non-Costco) dealer quoted invoice + $89 doc. First dealer then came back at invoice + $0 doc. These prices are all minus any applicable rebates at time of delivery.

So Costco is pretty good, but you may be able to do a bit better in some cases.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bottom line they are selling so quick that they are not willing to budge much. Supply and demand is not your best friend when your the purchaser.

When shoppping for mine i ended up having to drive 250 miles to get the one i wanted.[bigcry]

·
Registered
289 Posts
At least you found one, try finding a YB Titanium. We know of one in our region and it has way too many options. I would be glad to drive 250 miles. [?|]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picking up my Focus tomorrow!

I have done inventory checks in the area. A whole lotta nothing within a 50 mile radius. (There is maybe 1 comparable). Upping to 75 miles doesn't help, I think there were 2 more.

Based on your recommendations, I will buy the warranty from a 3rd party and see if I can knock off a few more dollars for the slight "demo" mileage. Not too optimistic I can do much better with the constrained supply of the sterling grey.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts