Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, if there's no tax on the $5 environmental fee, and I've done the math right, it's $2,496.99!!!! Come on Ford! How can you get the car so right and then sucker your customers with this kind of support.

North of Toronto, ON, I typically have snow tires on my cars for 5 months, and I'd rather not have to look at heavy black steelies for almost half the year (I actually wanted another set of the same rims which came with the car), and I'd rather have the better turn-in afforded by a 55 or 60 series tire.

The package I wanted from my Ford dealer was:

16" x 6.5" (each) $254.43
TPMS-12 (each) 56.60
Continental Extreme Winter Contact, 215/55-16 (each) 199.48
TPMS Mounting (each) 12.50
Tire Mounting & Balancing 25.00

Sub-total Per Corner $548.01

Taxes Per Corner 71.24

Environment Fee 5.00
Total Per Corner $624.25

Total 2012 Focus SE $2 496.99

I've ordered, instead, some 205/65-15 Toyo Observe GSi-5 snow tires from a local tire shop, and some cheap alloy rims: $1,150 tax-in, installed and balanced; additionally, I had to provide the sensors. So, about $1,370 out the door.

It seems that it's harder to find an alloy rim, here in Canada, than you'd think, because you need the Ford's bolt pattern, of course, and this is Canada. I've found that the snow tire supply here by December 1 often isn't, so I just thought I'd buy early. If Ford IS going to launch a winter tire package, there was no information about it at my dealer. Oh, and there was no 15" alloy Ford rim available, either - what?

Anyhow, the Toyo GSi-5's look good; I've had Toyo Garitt HT's and KX's - WALNUT SHELLS work; here's a link:

http://pktube.onepakistan.com/video/gWz78eShpY8/TOYO-OBSERVE-GSi-5.html

·
Registered
613 Posts
To get exactly what you want, you've gotta pay for it. There's zero need for the alloys and zero need for the TPMS sensors. Right there you knock $1244.12 off of the top.

It may be a problem in Canada but I had no problem getting the 15" steel Ford wheels via Tire Rack. Got my Blizzak WS-70's there too.

Another guy on here, bsp_53, paid $837.97 delivered for: 15" steel wheels, new TPMS (made by Schrader Intl.), Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 195/65-15 and complimentary lug nuts. I got the same package, minus the TPMS, for just over $650.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I use TIRERACK. They will ship them to your house or to a local installer if its on their list. Their prices are pretty decent. I just ordered some Hancook RS-3's for my '09 ses coupe on last Sat and they arrived at my installer on Monday and I had them installed yesterday (Wed).

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
What is the beef? that a dealer charges more for stuff?
The price for the wheels is actually a deal, considering most of the Ford OEM wheels retail is $300 each to $400 each. Then paying retail for the tires...
So discovering an aftermarket solution is cheaper is not a suprise.
Those Conti's are at Tire Rack for $118 each. There would be some equivilent seller up in Canada i would suspect.
So right there the total price would have been $328 less...
Just sayin'.
Dealers may or may not discount tires. usually if you do not come in with a low alternate price they will just charge retail...
[popcorn]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read rumors that some US states are demanding that cars equipped with TPMS must have it. A few members of the extended family have had problems with US Customs - hey, we're aliens - and it's insurance for a series of family visits or US ski trips over the next few years.

I've priced tirerack.com packages delivered to Toronto, and the savings may be worth doing it, but sometimes there is no advantage, and often disadvantages; have you ever tried to return ANYTHING from Canada to America? Yeah, well, then I understand your comments.

My real point, however, is that the lack of a reasonable winter tire package by Ford of Canada is just so stupid! Why would Ford want to dumb-down the look of its cars? Just several tens-of-thousand of lost opportunities, that's all. What could be a win-win, isn't. I'm just surprised. [I saved $1,000 buying struts from a US Acura dealer, for my TSX; because my Focus isn't a "near-luxury" car, I thought Ford would be more reasonable.]

Perhaps where this discussion should be going, is to suggest a review of US vs Canadian Ford parts, if it hasn't already happened, and then let better-informed people vote.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John DeLorean's book, On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors, is a good read for car people, and an interesting business book, too.

Would DeLorean be laughing now, if he were still alive? Probably, considering the alternative.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Anyone in the GTA who bothers with winter tires over all-season is just throwing their money away. It snows heavy maybe twice a season.

·
Registered
267 Posts

TPMS-12 (each) 56.60

Taxes Per Corner 71.24

Environment Fee 5.00
Total Per Corner $624.25

Huh, seems very steep. As a FORD parts person here is the deal I would have given you, just being an everyday customer from off the street. No special treatment. Price is Canadian $$

CV6Z 1007 E (16" 5 spoke aluminum) $190.00 each
Continental Extreme winter contact #15462960000 $179.88 each
TPMS 12 Sensors $46.16 each
Tire levy $5.00 each
Mount/Balance/Install $16.50 each
HST in BC 12% $210.02

*out the door price $1960.18**

Still pricey but better then $2500

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone in the GTA who bothers with winter tires over all-season is just throwing their money away. It snows heavy maybe twice a season.
I agree with your point about us not having much snow, but I've read so many articles over the past several years discussing the drop-off in grip aforded by all season tires when temperatures drop below around 5 degrees celcius (which we'd be lucky to see anytime between November and March). My wife and I each commute 60KM's daily to work and we both have winter tires on our cars (hers is a VW Rabbit). I can say I'd take our front wheel drive cars with winter tires over any 4X4 with all seasons to get us safely through the winter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Another point on the winter tires. If you bought the Titanium with 18's good luck going anywhere with even a skiff of snow on the road. You MIGHT be ok with the all seasons but good luck. Where I live we don't get alot of snow. Some years none at all. Winter tires are however required by law on any of the mountain passes in the area.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Another point on the winter tires. If you bought the Titanium with 18's good luck going anywhere with even a skiff of snow on the road. You MIGHT be ok with the all seasons but good luck. Where I live we don't get alot of snow. Some years none at all. Winter tires are however required by law on any of the mountain passes in the area.

In New England, we drove for years on all-season tires. For a long time, I didn't see the need for snow tires. But, once we started using winter tires (because of a VW that was treacherous on it's summer tires in bad weather), we realized the difference in ability and security when driving in bad weather. Won't go back...

Though a second set of tires is initially expensive, you will be safer and will take twice the time to wear out your summer set. You will probably get 3-4 seasons out of them. It really is worth it (unless you live somewhere that gets snow once per year, or something like that).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Winter tires just aren't for snow, they are for cold temperatures too. Your non-winter tires (summer and all-season) progressively lose grip after 45 degrees. If you live in an area where it drops below freezing for extended time, winter tires are not a waste of money.

All season tires excel at absolutely nothing and are average to awful at everything. Tires are no different then shoes, you aren't going to wear running shoes in the snow, just like you aren't going to wear boots on a 90 degree day. Put the proper tires on your tires for the given season and you'll be much safer on the road.

I am planning on getting winter tires for my Ti, and the package comes in at just under $700 with TPSM's. Anyone who spends $2,500 on a winter tire package is insane, the summer package I came up with for my car was less then that and it was running 18" OZ's. You do not need alloy rims for a winter package, it's not about looks, it's about function and steelies work just fine. If you don't want black, a couple cans of spray paint will fix that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Actually, if there's no tax on the $5 environmental fee, and I've done the math right, it's $2,496.99!!!! Come on Ford! How can you get the car so right and then sucker your customers with this kind of support.

North of Toronto, ON, I typically have snow tires on my cars for 5 months, and I'd rather not have to look at heavy black steelies for almost half the year (I actually wanted another set of the same rims which came with the car), and I'd rather have the better turn-in afforded by a 55 or 60 series tire.

TPMS-12 (each) 56.60

Taxes Per Corner 71.24

Environment Fee 5.00
Total Per Corner $624.25

I've ordered, instead, some 205/65-15 Toyo Observe GSi-5 snow tires from a local tire shop, and some cheap alloy rims: $1,150 tax-in, installed and balanced; additionally, I had to provide the sensors. So, about $1,370 out the door.

It seems that it's harder to find an alloy rim, here in Canada, than you'd think, because you need the Ford's bolt pattern, of course, and this is Canada. I've found that the snow tire supply here by December 1 often isn't, so I just thought I'd buy early. If Ford IS going to launch a winter tire package, there was no information about it at my dealer. Oh, and there was no 15" alloy Ford rim available, either - what?

Anyhow, the Toyo GSi-5's look good; I've had Toyo Garitt HT's and KX's - WALNUT SHELLS work; here's a link:

http://pktube.onepakistan.com/video/gWz78eShpY8/TOYO-OBSERVE-GSi-5.html
Part of the price difference you posted is because you went with 15's versus 16's. From all my research, you'll pay more going for a 16, no matter which brand you use.

Ford of Canada has a winter promotion going on. Basically, they are offering the rebates from places like Michelin and others, plus they are selling steel wheels and alloys at a discount. The kicker is that they are also claiming they will not be undersold, provided whoever is giving the lower price is offering the EXACT same products.

I asked a few dealers around my area and the GTA, and the prices and packages are all over the place. I also asked a few tire shops as well. In most cases, they are all in line. The scary bit is that some tire shops I've asked seem heck bent on selling me 17's only because that's what they see on my car. The TPMS issue seems to be mixed -- some dealers and tire shops are giving me an option whether to have them installed. Right now, my usual tire guy and dealer are coming up neck-and-neck on pricing. I'm having a tough time deciding because both have been good to me.

My suggestion to people looking is to CALL AROUND! Even with Ford dealers, every one has the option to set their own prices.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You are retarded if you pay that much for snow's, if u wanna be a pre-modonna, and u need ur 2nd set of sporty rims for the winter season then you'll pay for it, i got 4 blizzak ws70's at costco for 480$ w/ tax, im putting 4 black steelies on it for 45$ each and 18$ each to put them on

- $183/corner

·
Registered
122 Posts
4 used 16" aluminum wheels from a 2004 Taurus= $150
4 Cooper snow tires from Mavis tire= $320
Mount and balance and tax = $54

Total= $524

I decided to live with the TPM light on for the winter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll be scoping out some Micheline X-Ice tires and third-party wheels next month. Have had good experience with Micheline X-Ice on other Foci on icy roads. I figure I'll spend about $1200 for tires and wheels plus TPMS rebuild kits going through Discount Tire.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry blackrave456, but I completely disagree. [dunno]

In fact, I would say that anyone who just bought a +$20K car and is unwilling to shell out $600 bucks when they know they will see snow/slush/freezing rain/colder weather that makes the all-season compound less flexible and black ice is taking an unnecessary risk regarding either hitting something else or getting hit by someone else because your focus was unable to maneuver/stop in time to avoid this object that is approaching towards you or that you will be approaching.

Plus if you have a set of winters on rims, you prolong the life of your "all-seasons" so you're not really wasting money.

Winter tires aren't just for snow (that's why they're not just called "snow tires").

1 - 20 of 29 Posts