Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the cheapest way to achieve 250 whp? By cheap I mean 5k and below.

I have a 2.0 zetec 130hp, and I would like to have a step by step list. Also, could someone please put the S/C or turbo debate to bed. I see alot of opinions that say one should get the S/C, but isnt hard to up the boost on a S/C compared to a turbo?

I have done all the searching, but I would like to have more of an itemized list.

Please help!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
to achieve 250 at the wheels. You are going to have to go FI. S/C or turbo, i'd pick turbo just because i see more turbo 4 cyl engines making more gains than the S/C ones. Howerver, if you're looking to achieve lots of horsepower in a 4 cylinder car...its not going to be cheap. The cheapest way to horsepower is the v8's...with 5 grand you could make shit loads in a v8, but on a 4 cylinder, it will cost you to get there....less displacement to work with.

List...
- Turbo Upgrade

then later upgrade the internals for more boost and more power...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The most important things to remember when modding cars:

"Speed is money, how fast do you want to go?"

and

There are 3 types of car mods:

fast
cheap
reliable

You can only pick two.

personally, i dont see 250whp being possible with under 5 grand... the least expensive turbo kit is 4000 dollars.. the precision turbo kit... but your stock driveline wont be able to hold that.. so shell out 300 for a clutch and 350 more for labor... 300 for exhaust... 200 more for axels that wont explode... oh, and dont forget the most important part... tuning... 300 for an sct chip plus dyno time...

on stock internals, you should be able to squeeze 225whp without slinging a rod... 250whp is pushing your luck on stock internals...

just my $0.02

·
Registered
164 Posts
U wanna play, u gotta pay!

Definitely turbo or blower. One is not better than the other unless u want it for a certain purpose. Turbos great all around but make a lot of heat and can be very expensive to purchase and can be bad on gas, a little lag but not much, easy to change boost. S/C, the Jackson racing and Power Works (blowers) are great for constant power plus instant torque plus can improve highway mileage, but bad city mileage must change pulleys to change boost. Vortech and procharger (centrifugal) give lots of hp that builds till u lift off or blow up, some more torque but not as much as turbo or blowers, can improve highway mileage, more efficient than blower but less than turbo, hard to change boost like higher rpms.

Keep in mind the more efficient the intercooler the more boost or lower the octane u can run. Hope this helps u out.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
good luck man but i agree with most everyone else you are gonna pay more than 5k getting to 250whp

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
I feel a turbo would be the way to go here, but don't cheap out. Save your money and do it right.. Contact Tom at focus-power.com and talk horsepower

·
Registered
21 Posts
focus sport has a stage 2 intake manifold that says it'll give you 200hp I am pretty sure that is rear wheels. ($2000) and if you went with a fairly inexpensive s/c maybe slightly used. you'd definantly have the Hp you want but you'd probably go over the price alittle. I'm sure you would need a couple other mods to handle every thing

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
zx3redwhtdrvr said:
focus sport has a stage 2 intake manifold that says it'll give you 200hp I am pretty sure that is rear wheels. ($2000) and if you went with a fairly inexpensive s/c maybe slightly used. you'd definantly have the Hp you want but you'd probably go over the price alittle. I'm sure you would need a couple other mods to handle every thing
haha i was about to say, there is no way you can pick up that much hp from an intake mani...pheww lol. Anyways, Tom is the guy to talk to about horsepower i would say.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
tom is a good guy... turbocharging your car can be done for less.. but you absolutely have to know what you're doing... and you have to know what yer doing and how to do it to come out the inexpensive way....

by the way your question was worded... you're fairly new to the car scene... if you want decent horsepower with the least amount of trouble, tom is indeed the person to talk to...

·
Registered
682 Posts
For 250 hp you have no other choice but to go with FI, you will need more than 5k to spend on it, wait a while and save some money up. That and if you have an atx you are gonna need to upgrade that to the stock holds arounf 150hp.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Of course, you will also have to work on other stuff to get 250 whp to the road without destroying the rest of the drive train. A tranny upgrade is a must...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have 248 whp and i put in maybe 10G or 8G into my car but my goal is 300+ i would change the insides and get Toms kit, trust me its the way to go. Everybody is right, if you want to have a fast ass focus then put money into it cuz going from 130 whp to 250 is a big jump.

·
Registered
90 Posts
also remeber the focuses rated horsepower of 130 is only at the crank. in wheel horsepower, it varies between 100-115 whp depending on transmission and factory tuning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice. Im new to the focus, Im a Mitsubish guy 4g63t evo eng swap in process....moving right along.... I know that its going to be around 10k to get 250whp without blowing my engine, I was just seeing how close I could get with 5k.

Is it safe to say that a turbo on about 9-10psi with an intercooler will get me around 200whp on stock internals?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
butlerrd said:
Thanks for all the advice. Im new to the focus, Im a Mitsubish guy 4g63t evo eng swap in process....moving right along.... I know that its going to be around 10k to get 250whp without blowing my engine, I was just seeing how close I could get with 5k.

Is it safe to say that a turbo on about 9-10psi with an intercooler will get me around 200whp on stock internals?

it can most definately be done[thumb]

my buddy ran 2 years on 10psi and 91 octane.... not being new to cars i'm sure you're well aware that its all about tuning...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Of course, you have to tune it. What's the best way however? Go to a shop and have it dyno'd and professionally done, or buy one of those sct chips pre spec'ed out?

The former is the obvious choice, but what's the most economical, and how much of a difference can one expect?

In summary I want to make this clear to see if I get this right....

200whp can be accomplished with about 9-10psi on a turbo kit that runs 3k-4k on stock internals and tuning....

250whp can be accomplished with 10+ psi with turbo and beefed up internals...

What internals are the most important when beefing up? This is the part I normally mess up....

Oh yeah, I already know the transmission needs to be beefed up, but at what point does remaining an auto not become feasible. I can drive manual, but prefer to keep auto. Once I reach my transmission limit per se, Im going to stop seeking hp gains, and finally just move on to another car, Im working on importing an earlier EVO or something just to be different....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
butlerrd said:
Of course, you have to tune it. What's the best way however? Go to a shop and have it dyno'd and professionally done, or buy one of those sct chips pre spec'ed out?

The former is the obvious choice, but what's the most economical, and how much of a difference can one expect?

In summary I want to make this clear to see if I get this right....

200whp can be accomplished with about 9-10psi on a turbo kit that runs 3k-4k on stock internals and tuning....

250whp can be accomplished with 10+ psi with turbo and beefed up internals...

What internals are the most important when beefing up? This is the part I normally mess up....

Oh yeah, I already know the transmission needs to be beefed up, but at what point does remaining an auto not become feasible. I can drive manual, but prefer to keep auto. Once I reach my transmission limit per se, Im going to stop seeking hp gains, and finally just move on to another car, Im working on importing an earlier EVO or something just to be different....

no offense, but in my opinion... WHY ARE YOU FIXING UP AN AUTOTRAGIC FOCUS IF U CAN IMPORT AN EARLIER EVO?!?!? [;)]

if you plan on spending money down the road... save what you have now and use it then!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought one to get by for now, and I thought It would be a good project. I just want it to be a little faster. :)

I also have a Mirage that Im converting to an EVO. :)

The whole tuner thing for me is more fun when you make an econo box as fast as a factory made performance machine.

There is no fun in tuning a car thats already fast, IMO.

The Imported evo, Is later down the road, I already have 3 cars as is and the misses wont let me do that for another year or two.

As far as the auto thing, I got my butt chewed on the Mirage Forum for suggesting the same thing with the EVO swap :) I finally broke down and decided to go manual with that, but for the focus, Im wanting to stay auto for now, because I drive to DC everyday, and traffic is a mutha!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
ah i understand...

as for going fast with an automatic focus... its not that simple to do... i know a few people on here have all the bolt ons and stage 2 cams... and they somehow manage to keep from shredding their auto tranny apart... but the focus automatic is only rated for like 130ft/lbs of torque... which is conveniantly what the zetec makes stock...

that being said, kiss the possibility of boost goodby without a complete lentech tranny... for n/a mods... u should be alright as long as u can keep the tranny cool... a new valvebody from lentech wouldnt hurt either..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts