Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the site. Its great. I have a 2002 svt focus with stock wheels and 225/45/17. I have a great deal on some 225/50/17 and wanted to know if they would fit? Would they atleast fit as 2 rears if not the front?

Thanks

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
the stock tire size is 215 45 17, whenever you add to the first number, you really should take away from the second set of numbers. otherwise the overall diameter of the tire changes.

so I'd either stick with 225 45 17 or 225 40 17 if you can find them. or just stick to the original size. I'm almost positive 225 50 17 will rub.

Matt

·
Registered
332 Posts
the stock tire size is 215 45 17, whenever you add to the first number, you really should take away from the second set of numbers. otherwise the overall diameter of the tire changes.

so I'd either stick with 225 45 17 or 225 40 17 if you can find them. or just stick to the original size. I'm almost positive 225 50 17 will rub.

Matt
Would this rub just on the fender?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Would this rub just on the fender?
225/45's will be about 5mm wider on each side and about 5mm closer to the bottom spring perch on on the strut. 225/50's would be the same width wise but maybe another mm or two taller.

I think he'll be fine.. Pretty sure getting into the strut with your aspect ratio is more likely than getting into the fender unless the car is super low.

Although... I'm not certain he'd have no inside clearance issues at full steer due to ackerman.

Best thing he can do is a little math in physical demension difference (which will still be ballpark because there are small differences between two tires of the same size between manufacturers) and use a ruler to see if adding those demensions would interfere - especially at full steer

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
I bought a set of 225/45's years ago and they rubbed driving down the highway over dips in the road. Got rid of them and went back to stock size.

I agree with drostedrummer89.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had 215/50/17 and they rubbed on the front like crazy!! Went back to factory!

·
Registered
209 Posts
i had no issues on the inside with a 225/45/17 but they rubbed on the fender every dip or bump i hit. so a 225/50 is deffinatley out of the question

1 - 7 of 7 Posts