Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any problems with running this size on stock 16" ST wheels? I am at stock ride height and don't plan on lowering.

I am running upsized 195/65/15 on the stock 15" Wagon wheels with no rubbing/probs.

How about 205/60/16 Size??

Thanks

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
I would imagine it would be close to the limit as well. Your spedo will be a tad off, but that should be your only problem I would guess.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
205 or 215/55 might be a better choice. A 55 aspect ratio would be a little better from a performance standpoint and closer to the OEM tire diameter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies![:)]

Cost is part of the issue as the sizes I mentioned are significantly lower than the obvious choices.

The ST rim is only 6" wide I gather. 205/55/16 seems like the best compromise yes?

Anyone actually running the sizes mentioned?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well, a 195/65/15 wheel has a diameter of 24.99in, and a 225/50/16 has a diameter of 24.86. So technically, its just a hair shorter than what your running now, and shouldnt be a problem. Most guys here run a 215/45/17 here, and I know from experience that theres no rubbing width wise. I doubt another 10mm is gonna make the difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered Kumho Solus KH16s in 205/55/16 from the tirerack.com. I was torn between these and the Kumho Ecsta ASX ($4 cheaper per tire). Went with the Solus based on ratings and treadlife.

Hoping its a good compromise between ride/quietness and handling.

I will post with results.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
317 Posts
KH16 is a good non-enthusiast's tire. The ASX is a good enthusiast's tire with a lot more grip, but shorter life. Whether you'll be happy or not depends on what you are used to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KH16 is a good non-enthusiast's tire. The ASX is a good enthusiast's tire with a lot more grip, but shorter life. Whether you'll be happy or not depends on what you are used to.
I used to own a Mazda Protege5 (Probably the best handling car I've owned, out of the box). Although IMO, my Focus wagon definately has the potential to handle at least as well AND ride much better. The P5 was STIFF.

I drive 5000 miles a month on my Focus... If it weren't for this, I would prob have gone with the ASXs.[B)]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 205/55R16 Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds-best tires I've ever owned. This is the third vehicle I have put them on. They handle well and are great in inclement weather.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It sounds like the 205/55R16s will work on the Foci that came with 205/50R16s... I am planning to put Goodyear TripleTreds in 205/55R16 on a 07 Focus ST in the future (when the Pirellis wear down, which should be fairly quickly once I get the car). What is the width of the wheel? 6"? 7"?

Will I experience rubbing with the 205/55R16s?

How bad is the speedo error? My math shows the actual to be +3 mph from the speedo reading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts