Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 2003 Focus SVT and plan to purchase 17x8" rims for it (the new Bojix offerings). I plan to pick up Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Tire Rack for it. I know I should probably go with a 225/45/17, but would a 215/45/17 be okay for this setup? I don't like the stretched look, but the 225's are a bit more money. I searched for a chart that shows which widths work on what size wheels but didn't find it.

Thanks
Robb

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
You'll be fine.

I run a 215/35 on my Mk1 RS wheels and they are 8" wide. Not to mention, a 225/45 is a tall tire. You would be better off running a 235/40 than a 225/45.

I just hope your customer service from Bojix was better than mine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's it look? Not too stretched?

And what was your experience with Bojix? I'd love to hear it.
Thanks

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Feel free to PM me if you would like.

It's a little stretched, but not bad at all IMO.

According to tyrestretch.com this is a 215/45/17 on an 8" wheel:

Looks about right to me. If that's ok with you, I think it's about what you can expect.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey Robb,

The Super Sport in the 215 has a rim width range of 7''-8'' so this would be a great match for your wheels.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Awesome! Reference "FocusFanatics" and I'll look for it.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Here's a 205/45/17 on an 8" wheel:

Here's a 215/45/17 on a 7.5" wheel:

And here's a 235/40 on the same wheel:

Keep in mind the last two are on a 17x7.5 instead of 17x8 so just know that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I would just as soon have a bit more protection for my new rims than the 215s will give. Of course, if you don't parallel park, then no worries!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
And here's a 235/40 on the same wheel:

I like the tread on that tire good grip just like slicks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn... wish I could do 225 - seems like it would be a better fit than the 215. The 215 looks about right on the 7.5" wheel. Guess I could pay the extra $100 (GRR) and get the 225's...

·
Registered
190 Posts
225/45R17 for two reasons:
1. The 225/40 comes in about .5'' short while the 225/45 is closer to OE.
2. Nothing is typically available in 225/40 except race compound tires so you don't have many (if any) options.

Is 225/40R17 that size you meant?

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Just searched Tire Rack and there aren't many options in 235/40 that are in the same category as the Michelins.

Are you using your SVT for auto-x at all? The reason I ask is because of the ratio of the 6-speed you will actually want a shorter tire so you can accelerate better in the lower gears. If you're driving just around town then the only issue you will have to worry about is the rubbing that may come with the 225/45 on the 8" wheel.

DOH: http://forums.focaljet.com/team-rigz/645245-got-some-new-wheels-first-set-these-focus-xxr-522-a.html

Not sure why I didn't just post that link earlier. He's got 215/45/17s on there and it rubbed pretty good already in the rear and in the front driver's side on Sportline springs. He had to use a fender roller to alleviate the rubbing.

I only know this because we used my fender roller and his car was in my driveway while we did it [giggle]

Reactions: rgonyer

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow he rubbed with stock tires on wider rims?

Miles - Yeah, I noticed after I posted that no 225/40/17 is available.

I may autox the car once in a GREAT while, but no worries as it's a 99.9% daily driver.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the link Nick, and damn - I wanna convert my Comp Orange SVT 3 door to look like that car. I have roush skirts - is it even feasable to do? Front bumper and all the trim, fenders, hood, headlights? Anything else? Or am I crazy ? ;-)

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Yeah, the whole front clip is different. It's pretty much only cosmetics though, best way is to find a totalled out car that was hit from behind.

The SAP kit front is not cheap. The Roush skirts look great with just the stock SVT bumper anyways. Keep that or just go Euro [:)]

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm... Euro sounds cool - I do like the fenders. Too bad the SAP bumper is pricey, it's a nice looking kit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts