Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ContiExtreme's have worn out- rather early IMO. I'd like to stick with an American made tire, but 20k miles is freaking ridiculous.

I've been looking at Kumho Ecsta All season's because those are the cheapest, and I am looking to save money if I'm going to be doing a freaking tire change ever year.

This is not going to happen right away. I'm going to gather up a few things that are needed on the suspension side like at least the rear camber adjustment so I can keep the rear from eating up tires. I'm also probably going to get struts, shocks, and strut bearings.

Just what I freaking needed. I'm about to have a baby and the shoes wear out on the wagon. I'll be lucky if the clutch holds out for another year or so. I thought that would've come before the tires needed replacing again.

Anyone have any suggestions of tires that will hold up better than 20k miles?

·
Registered
584 Posts
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport
Lots of people here use them. The sportiness, treadwear, and rain handling are perfectly balanced. These thing last forever on the street. Not the best autocross tire, but not bad either. They aren't made for the heat of track days, but no street tire really is. I have a lot more sidewall (225/55/15) than you will in that size, and the steering response is near laser quick if you air them up. At lower street pressures they ride comfortably well and are nearly silent. They aren't too expensive either. Basically I love them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
my car came stock with pirelli p6's and they wore out in 3000 miles so yours arent that bad lol. Ive had firestone firehawks since then and im at 12000 miles...ive driven these wheels HARD and they are still new. they are real cheap and they grip id say a 6 out of ten

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
3000 miles?! Are you kidding? There is something wrong if those tires wear out after 3000 miles... I didnt replace mine till almost 20000 miles. And that was decently hard driving. You better check that out...

Anyway. The BFgoodrich super sport a/s is an awesome all season. Expensive though. I have heard great things about the Kuhmo AST tire. I know lots of guys who have them. Not all foci and they all love em.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
The ContiExtreme's have worn out- rather early IMO. I'd like to stick with an American made tire, but 20k miles is freaking ridiculous.

I've been looking at Kumho Ecsta All season's because those are the cheapest, and I am looking to save money if I'm going to be doing a freaking tire change ever year.

Anyone have any suggestions of tires that will hold up better than 20k miles?
That's what I have on the SVT and so far so good. 12K on the new tires and they look NEW.

Good dry weather performance and GREAT wet weather response....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
P.S> I got mine for $78 each

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
please dont get the Kumhos they sux i had them and uggggh
i have the bfg g force and they r bomb

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ASX

With track tires in the garage, I was less concerned about overall performance.
The ASX (according to tire rack) is the ultra high performance all season, the AST is the high performance all season.

Anyway, the ASX is currently like $56 per tire, considering Firestone wants $600 for a set of four Firehawk GT's installed, I'll go with the ones from Tire Rack. If I'm going to be getting a Japanese made tire, then I'll get a cheap one.

I don't think it was the fault of the Continentals that they wore out so quickly. I still have 4/32 on two tires. I didn't rotate like I should. Unfortunately these aren't on sale any more, and my money is really short. My wife doesn't even realize how screwed we are this year. I'm thinking I'll have to borrow money to pay taxes, or do some creative accounting with my business expenses.

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
stock svt tires were really wore out when i first bought the car and replaced them with falken tires. they were 75 a tire i think, cant really remember and changed them at 36k, now car has 51k but since i got new svtwheels i rotated the fronts to back and back to front. the fronts were getting a lil worn out id say 50-60% thread left but thats from hitting some curvey roads from time to time. but now the rears still looked new. id say 85-90% thread on em. so they are decent tires i would say for the price.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i have some 215/45/17 falken fk452s ill sell for 350! they have about 2000 miles on them. great tires, but i need wider for traction.. gonna get 235/40 for from and 225/45 for rear

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
We're using the AST's and are happy with them. Over 20K on them now and I expect another 15 possibly 20K based on the way they look. When we got them they were cheaper than the ASX's. I'd go with whichever is cheaper. Naturally to get the best wear watch your inflation pressures closely, get a good alignment and have the tires balanced regularly. Preventing the problems is a lot easier than trying to save the tire after they have started.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Nitto Neogen, very quiet and stick like flies on poo.....

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
but i need wider for traction.. gonna get 235/40 for from and 225/45 for rear

get ready to either roll or cut your wheel wells.......that would look sick but could be costly, you will most likely rub.....just my .02[thumb]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
do they have to be all seasons?? cause Goodyear Eagle GSD3's are awesome!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts